Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM

424 posts, read 2,337,646 times

Advertisements

hubs things the extra vents are from old heaters? I'll talk to him about all you've said and see what he thinks then.

the bathroom is VERY small. no reason to rearrange the placement of the fan or curtains, etc. no room. We can try to vent into the attic but still need a better fan as there is no venting going on with the current one. Then if it seems to not be working, we can step it up a notch and vent outside. but that does indeed seem like more work than should be necessary. We'll have to talk about it. Thanks for all the ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM

3,983 posts, read 6,553,659 times
campmom - we actually put in our own vent and it wasn't as bad to install as you might think. We put one in where one never existed. My brother is an electrician so he did that part for us, but it sounds like you already have the electrical in place. I was wary to make a hole in the roof, but we have no soffits on our house and we couldn't go out through a wall so I didn't have a choice. I read a lot on line and then measured everything about 6 times! Its been up about 5 years now and no leaks so I wouldn't be afraid to go through your roof if you have to, just be careful. Good luck

Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,919,820 times
Campmom, CAN YOU SEE THE 4 SCREWS WHICH ARE TYPICAL TO PULL THE UNIT DOWN FROM THE CEILING?

oops hit caps, not yelling. I am not good at typing, the common language spelling and grammar. just ain't...

If you can't see any screws at all then there is a fake frame which snaps off.

Get a ladder and go see. get the unit down and find out what stops the cold draft from entering the room in the first place. Have a old towel handy since the cold draft won't wait long...

This is the very first thying you wanna do since I think there is a problem with the vent being able to blow what ever set up it has open to be just able to vent.

Yeah there will be a few wires, but they will be tied off with caps or tape, and the unit will hang.

You can do this yourself and impress hubby.

You tell me what you see, and I can tell you how to fix it. I think the venting system is bound up and plain stuck, but chances are if the fan motor runs and the fan turns you can fix it.

None of this is close to science.. Then to wait since I don't know when you will reply put the unit back in with 2 screws.

of course this might end up so simple you don't need me to tell you to cklean the dust mung and crudlings off... It could be you find soap skudge sticking the louvered vents if this has them and many do, as a dark brown sticky mess of goo.

You have kids so I know you know what brown sticky goo is..... Oh boy am I glad my son has his own son and I don't have to deal with those messes anymore.

I will want to know how many wires there are... Might be 2, 3 or 4, depending, probably 3. White, black and??? red, another white?? another black?? maybe one other color??

One pair will go to the light itself, these probably will be one white and one black.

The fan may have a pair as white and black or white and red... Just don't touch any of these wires and their ends will be covered, and if not then I might be upset if I were you.

There will be a bare wire too I hope bare copper, and it is harmless to you. If it has any insulation covering what so ever and I doubt it, then it will be green.

In any case make a map of these wires on paper by color and to where they go.

You can do this with the fuses in place or the breakers On. Even if you did get a shock it would be harmless unless you have a pacemaker. But you wont.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 PM

3,053 posts, read 8,367,826 times
Hello campmom123,

You can find most of your questions answered here Air Vent. Read through both the homeowner and contractor portions of the site. It will explain the importance of attic venting, including venting of bathrooms, etc. There is a great deal of good information including installation instructions so you can judge whether it would be easy or not for you.

If you have additional questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
How about this? Go up there, stand on the beams with a digital camera and post us pictures of all of it. Run an extension cord so you can plug in a lamp.

But truthfully sound like a clog on the vent. Go up there to each one , turn them on and see of any air is blowing out of them. If not open the cover to the vent from the inside and remove any buildup. If still no flow go get a leaf blower (and ear plugs) and blow it thru the vent until air can be felt in the attic. Each bathroom should be connected to its own vent pipe. If cost is an issue just purchase a collapable cloths dryer vent pipe and run it to the gable vent (use duct tape for sealing and mismatch of size).

Last edited by Pruzhany; 02-14-2010 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
After looking at the post titled "Teenager Rampage" I though maybe this was going to be one about going into the bathroom and letting out a few primal screams.

Sorry.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 PM

424 posts, read 2,337,646 times
well my bathroom might make me "vent" like that, DewDrop It needs some work and I'm a tad overwhelmed with it.

We went and bought new fan/light fixtures this weekend for both bathrooms. They were NOT between $8 and $60 as someone (Desertsun?) suggested, we had to spend a bit more than that but hopefully they'll do the trick and it will be worth it. They at least look a lot nicer than the old ones, I'm excited about that! We haven't begun the switch yet, but when we do we will come on here with any questions (and photos) if we need help. Thanks for all the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House