Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,067 times

Advertisements

we just bought a mid century house with two of the most awesome bathroom vents, I hear it's typical of the area. I mean these things don't do a thing! They make noise like a fan is running, but water condenses on the walls and ceilings like mad. How do we fix this? I actually just skip the stupid fan and leave the door wide open when I can.

The vent/fan in our bathroom has an attic access next to it so I imagine it'd be easy to access, but what/how do we replace it? The other bathroom is just the kids' bath and has a window, so I'm not quite as worried. But I do need to know if semigloss or gloss latex paint will hold up in these bathrooms, or what else I need to know about these bad venting situations. Any advice would be great. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:23 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
we just bought a mid century house with two of the most awesome bathroom vents, I hear it's typical of the area. I mean these things don't do a thing! They make noise like a fan is running, but water condenses on the walls and ceilings like mad. How do we fix this? I actually just skip the stupid fan and leave the door wide open when I can.

The vent/fan in our bathroom has an attic access next to it so I imagine it'd be easy to access, but what/how do we replace it? The other bathroom is just the kids' bath and has a window, so I'm not quite as worried. But I do need to know if semigloss or gloss latex paint will hold up in these bathrooms, or what else I need to know about these bad venting situations. Any advice would be great. thanks.
You should check where they are venting to. Are there vents directly to the outside? If not then check the attic and see if they are venting in the attic. If into the attic then they might be covered with insulation and going nowhere. Even if you do have vents going directly outside make sure the fan is routed properly to the exterior vent. That again will require potentially checking in the attic.

These vents should not be venting into the attic area and should be venting directly to the outdoors, and not through soffit vents either. From your description you can see just how much condensation occurs. Picture that being blown into your attic area and the potential damage it can cause.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
escanlan is so right. We had a similar experience some years ago only to learn that the original exhaust fans were venting right into our attic - BIG mistake. We corrected the problem, but also bought exhaust fans that were a bit more powerful given that we live in Florida.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM

about how much did that cost?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:44 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
campmom:

Just Google bathroom vent fans and find the formula that tells you how much power you need. Then get the fan- there are dozens. Turn the power off, remove the old fan, and then put the new one in. Or get an electrician to do it for you if you are cautious

Now, what they said about venting is important. Do you have an attic that is accessible? If so, you can buy a venting kit at any hardware store. However, if you have cold winters get a duct that is insulated.

You connect the duct to the fan. Then use a hole saw to cut a hole in the side of the house (easy) or the roof (tricky) and put the vent piece through the hole and seal it with caulk.

You can find videos on YouTube or ThisOldHouse.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Many people go to the store and see 10 vent fans ranging from $8 to $60 and wonder why that one is $60. The answer is because it works. Those weak $8 fans can not even hold up a tissue. Go do the tissue trick. Turn on the fan and put a tissue on the fan opening. If it does not hold then your fan is either a cheapie or as others have said, the vent is clogged.

Many fan housings are interchangable with eachother so you only have to change the motor and fan assemby. If not the whole box is easy enough. Any handyman should be able to do it.

Getting up there to check is easy. Run the vent outside and not just into open attic space. My last advice you aint going to like. Dont take such hot showers. It's not healthy and uses too much energy anyway.

Use semi gloss for the walls. Gloss is for the trim.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM

thanks

Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Ok, we just looked and the fans are venting into the attic and going nowhere. Now what? We're headed to the hardware store this weekend, I'm hoping they can help us out and tell us what we'll need to get the bathrooms vented to the outside. Sounds less easy than we'd hoped. Attic doesn't seem damaged from having the vent inside there, probably because the fan doesn't actually vent anything and all the moisture (or smell or whatever) just stayes in the bathroom anyway. Hope it isn't too hard to fix!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
What state? A damp attic will varry in terms of damage and venting depending on climate. Most attics say in New Enland are cold roofed and vented, meaning insulation lays above the ceiling and the wood above that at the inside roof is bare. Vents would be in the gable ends that way.

Then say in Fla that idea would be a disaster.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Wyoming. dry and cold here. The attic has insulation all over the floor of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House