Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,167 times

Advertisements

5000 for cabinet and countertop is very doable if your kitchen is not super big. Our custom cut granite countertop (Emerald Pearl, $40 per sq ft) costs $1800. We have 1 wall counter space and a island with extra hang for sitting. The cheapest granite I saw in the store is $30 per sq ft (black one with gold tone). You can calculate how many countertop space you will need and do your own math. If you want something even cheaper, you can go for prefab granite. It's precut granite and it's not as thick as one piece granite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM

275 posts, read 773,554 times
Actually, I don't even like granite tops. I like the look of man made granite like Zodiaq and I read some great reviews about it. Is that cheaper than granite? My kitchen is 130 sq-ft. not bad. I think I should be able to save enough to remodel next spring. I just have to clean it for now and live with.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,167 times
man made stone is actually more expensive, but maintenance free. We look both, but my husband does not like man made stone (quartz) because it's plain. Quartz is around 60-65 per sq ft. Corian is around 50-60 as well. Plus it gets scratch.
The kitchen in our new house used to have corian and it looks so bad. Maybe the prevous owner got pissed off when house was foreclosed and tried to destroyed the new kitchen. The kitchen is only 2 years old. We ended up tear down everything and redo it.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Unfortunately desertsun41 is right. Melamine will NOT hold paint for any length of time. I won't tell you not to do it, but be warned if you do that you will have to redo it in about 12-18 months at the most.
Unless I missed a post I think she stated the cabinets aren't melamine even though they look like it?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
My neighbor recently tiled his formica counter top and it came out really good and it was inexpensive too
That was my question, as I'm considering a house that has formica kitchen and bathroom counters. So I can just tile over them and backsplash up the back over the walls? What is involved? Scuffing/sanding? TSP? Do certain adhesives stick to formica better than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House