Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Funny! I'm getting cabin fever too. Wish I could have pms but I never learned how to ride other than as a passenger.

Boiling maple sap sounds more fun than my plans to do laundry today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:03 PM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I can't imagine there is ANY way to rake snow off of a roof that's over 2-1/2 stories in the air.

It might work for people who have 1 or 1-1/2 story houses, but it certainly wouldn't work for my house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
it's 3 stories high and has a very steep pitch.
Did your house grow a half of story between your two posts?

I don't get up on my roof and shovel it, I just rake it from the ground about 4 feet up (a foot or two past the eaves) to ease the water run off on the melt. The roof rake I have has 20 feet worth of extensions and you can actually buy extra extensions for it too. If your snow melts before another storm there is usually nothing to worry about though.

It's weird how the mid atlantic area has gotten more snow this year than we have in Minnesota. My uncle just sent me some pics from Atlanta and the snow they are getting. Winters sure are getting weird.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Hopes, Sugarin' is great fun so long as you don't mind not watchin' the grass grow..
Here's a link to my album if you wish.
Maple_Sugarin pictures by Mac_Muz - Photobucket

This season hasn't started yet, and it is a hobby thing for me, so not a lot gets made. My goal is around 5 gallons.

Il'd rather be ridin' with my sweetie, but that road salt has gotta go first.
in 05 into 06 we took a 10 month hiatus, to tour 40 states, my first time ever and my wifes first time in many.

It's a safe bet either is more interesting than laundry

Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
OK, background, so you don't think I've never seen snow: I grew up in Vermont in the middle of the snow belt there. Redesigned a roofing truss system for a friend who had his roof cave in. Sometimes had to shovel snow off roofs - not often, because most roofs up there are designed for snow load. Shoveled more of the &$*% stuff on the ground than I care to remember.

On a different forum, someone mentioned a tool I had never seen. Imagine a huge cheese slicer with a l-o-n-g handle, and a slip-n-slide attached to the wire cutter. Way cool. THere is a video of it in action on the website:
Avalanche Snow - Snow Removal Equipment, Snow Roof Rake for better Roof Maintenance

BTW, roofs are the only reason electric snowblowers should be allowed to exist. Tie yourself off to a strongly secured safety line, use a snowmobiler's helmet and mittens and have at.
Wow, that video of the avalanche snow "rake" is too cool. What a simple, but brilliant idea. I've never had to deal with snow- when it is on the roof like that, would it be relatively easy to use the avalanche or is the snow packed hard like a snowcone?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
Did your house grow a half of story between your two posts?
My have a two story house with a walkable full sized attic that's a 1/2 story and a basement that is semi-above ground that's a 1/2 story.

As a result, my roof is literally three stories above ground level even though my house is 2-1/2 stories.

Quote:
If your snow melts before another storm there is usually nothing to worry about though.
We had two storms in a row. The first dumped 2 feet of snow in a day. The second came a few days later with 7 inches. My roof now has approximately 1 foot of snow left on it. (My insulation is good so my snow only melts evenly from the sun, not from the heat inside the house.) We have another storm coming on Monday but it is supposed to only snow 3 inches. THIS is bad weather for us. We don't normally get much accumulation, but instead get a couple of inches, it melts, then a couple of more inches a few weeks later, it melts, etc. I won't worry about my roof until it gets three feet of snow on it.

Quote:
It's weird how the mid atlantic area has gotten more snow this year than we have in Minnesota. My uncle just sent me some pics from Atlanta and the snow they are getting. Winters sure are getting weird.
I have been around enough decades to know that the weather comes between 10 to 15 year cycles. That's approximately how often we get super bad winters.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Hopes, Sugarin' is great fun so long as you don't mind not watchin' the grass grow..
Here's a link to my album if you wish.
Maple_Sugarin pictures by Mac_Muz - Photobucket

This season hasn't started yet, and it is a hobby thing for me, so not a lot gets made. My goal is around 5 gallons.
Cool hobby! Could you make more than 5 gallons if you wanted? I know people would pay good money for homemade syrup.

Quote:
I'd rather be ridin' with my sweetie, but that road salt has gotta go first.
in 05 into 06 we took a 10 month hiatus, to tour 40 states, my first time ever and my wifes first time in many.
That's a life I could live. When I was a teen, I had a boyfriend who took 3 months each year to tour different parts of the United States on his motorcycle. I went with him one year, and it was a blast! He camped out the entire time. All year long, he would save fast food condiments because they didn't take up space for the trip. He took lots of pictures, many of which were bought by various magazines.

Unfortunately, my husband is dangerous on a motorcycle. He won't get on one. It's simply not a talent he could ever master. When gasoline prices went up, I tried to encourage him to get one. He wouldn't have anything to do with it. And he's the cheapest person I know so that's saying something. To hear his friends talk (all have motorcycles), he truly isn't very good at riding one. I guess I'm lucky that he knows his limits.

Quote:
It's a safe bet either is more interesting than laundry
Yeah, yeah.....that's probably why I didn't get ANY done today!

There's always tomorrow!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Wow, that video of the avalanche snow "rake" is too cool. What a simple, but brilliant idea. I've never had to deal with snow- when it is on the roof like that, would it be relatively easy to use the avalanche or is the snow packed hard like a snowcone?"

It all depends on the snowstorm. Many of the bigger snowfalls have fairly fluffy and dry snow, and if you get to shoveling or moving it before the sun and wind have a chance to work, things go well. However, in a blizzard, the snow can get packed tight, and when there is a wet snowfall or one where sleet changes to snow, all bets are off.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:35 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Only 2 snow storms here this year, but it's been cold. The snow is here but going.

Only non metal rooves have any snow, and if that barn was 12/12 pitch it would never have to be shoveled.

We may get more snow as this is only the mid way point in time. so no tellin'.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,361 times
I would like to see pictures - I need to make 1 ASAP as none are available!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House