Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:06 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,725 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to start building a house (not us, but a builder LOL). We've selected the floorplan, but are having a conflict over what side the garage should be placed. Well, that's not the only conflict we're having, but this is one that we are REALLY having an issue with. It's a side entry garage, and the front covered porch will be on the right side of the house. Our lot is 130' wide and about 400' deep. (just over an acre)

To me, all arrows point in the direction of having the garage on the left, when looking into the lot:
1. The existing driveway access from the street is on the left side of the lot.
2. There's nice landscaping along the left side of the lot.
3. The sun shines down on the right side of the lot, from back to front as the day progresses.
a.The master bedroom will get a lot of sun.
b.The breakfast nook will get morning sun.
4. The lot will better accommodate a future shed/workshop on the left side of the lot, behind where the house will sit, so I'll be able to use the driveway to access it (future boat parking, etc).

My wife doesn't completely disagree with me, but a big factor in this decision is because of what's on the other side of the adjacent vacant lot to the right. It's an older mobile home and the lot has lots of "stuff" scattered across the entire lot. There's a 105' vacant lot between us and them, and her father owns the vacant lot. We'll be helping him build something on that vacant lot, so we'll have a say in the placement of that building. It may end up being a manufactured home, but much, MUCH nicer looking than the MH located on the other lot.

I'm trying to explain to her we can put up literally any type of screening or landscaping to obscure the view from over there. But, it's just getting to the point where she's dead set on having the porch on the other side.

Anyone follow what I'm saying here? What other factors would there be in determining what side of the lot the garage should sit?

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM

424 posts, read 2,340,247 times
um, left isn't helpful to me. North, South? I will give my opinion that I won't even look twice at a house that has a garage on the south end, blocking all the sunlight. I'd prefer a garage on the north side of a house and lots of windows on the south end of the house. Garage on the east or west would be ok, in that order. So from what I'm reading, even though you don't give directions, I am agreeing with you that sunlight should be a big factor in determining this. The view your wife is concerned about will change, as you add a fence or bushes, or build on the adjacent lot. the trailer could even be gone in the future. Sunlight directions won't change. So that's my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 AM

I'm sorry, the left side would be facing NW. Thanks for your comments.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
um, left isn't helpful to me. North, South? I will give my opinion that I won't even look twice at a house that has a garage on the south end, blocking all the sunlight. I'd prefer a garage on the north side of a house and lots of windows on the south end of the house. Garage on the east or west would be ok, in that order. So from what I'm reading, even though you don't give directions, I am agreeing with you that sunlight should be a big factor in determining this. The view your wife is concerned about will change, as you add a fence or bushes, or build on the adjacent lot. the trailer could even be gone in the future. Sunlight directions won't change. So that's my 2 cents.
Good idea to maximize windows for sunlight on south side of house and minimize sunlight on east and especially west side of house.

We have a side entry garage, HOA rules, and I don't like it. I drive a big F-150 supercab and the wife a 2009 Sequoia and it can be hard to turn into a garage if the driveway doesn't provide a turn radius. I don't mind garage doors facing the street.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Thanks for dragging us all into your no-win situation, Eric. You know the wife always wins, right? lol

Anyway, I would go with the garage on the left, mainly for lighting purposes. More natural light = less light fixtures running = less money going to JEA. Plus, I'm assuming she'll want to do some landscaping outside the breakfast room, so that side of the house is going to need sunlight.

Cost is also a factor in my opinion. If you already have the driveway access on the left, it's going to be quite a bit cheaper to run the driveway over there than it will be to move it to the other side.

As for the view, privacy fences are a wonderful thing ^_^

Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
Being the one who buys the groceries and hauls them into the kitchen, I vote for whichever side of the house provides the shortest distance from the garage to the kitchen.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Thanks for dragging us all into your no-win situation, Eric. You know the wife always wins, right? lol

Yeah, and I've frequently told her that I'll eventually agree to whatever she wants. But, if I can present a good case to her, then I'll put forth an effort. So, if each of you don't mind, I'd like your phone numbers so she can call you to discuss.

I talked to our builder a little earlier, too, so I can prep them for this discussion.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Being the one who buys the groceries and hauls them into the kitchen, I vote for whichever side of the house provides the shortest distance from the garage to the kitchen.
Fortunately, the garage is pretty close to the kitchen, regardless of which way from situate the house.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Put the garage on the side of the house that has the least property. That way, you will have space on the other side to build an addition someday.

People often make the mistake of centering their houses on the property and then they don't have room for expanding in the future.

Another consideration entirely is which side gets the most afternoon and evening sun.

THAT'S the side where the garage should be. It will free up space on the other side of the house that isn't so hot for an outdoor are.

That's another big mistake people make---having their patios and porches on the South or West side of the house where the sun beats all day.

It's best to put the garage where the sun beats all day so the cooler parts of your yard are available for other uses.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
To me, all arrows point in the direction of having the garage on the left, when looking into the lot:
Quote:
3. The sun shines down on the right side of the lot, from back to front as the day progresses.
Quote:
But, it's just getting to the point where she's dead set on having the porch on the other side.
Look at the specific sentences above. Your wife is right. The left side of the house is better for a porch.

You DON'T want a porch that gets sun ALL DAY LONG. It will be too hot and you'll never use it.

Porches and patios are for shady sides of the houses---especially in the evening when you would be cooking and eating dinner outside.

Nobody wants to sit outside with the sun blaring down on them at 8pm on a hot summer evening.

Even if the porch has a roof, it won't protect the porch from the hot sun beating on it all day long. Furthermore, the sun comes in at an angle late in the day.

It's 10 degrees cooler on the other side of the house in the evenings. THAT'S where the porch should be located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House