Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 12:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are taking about exactly the same thing. What you are doing is sharpening the chain. You are using a file to make the teeth sharper than they were - that is what sharpening a chain is.

I do not like sitting outside doing it when I could be cutting. Apparently you are much faster at it than I am because it takes me quite a while. I can swap out the chain in 2-3 minutes while sharpening each tooth with a file takes fifteen minutes to half an hour, especially if you lose track of where you are. I usually have no more than an hour or two to cut up anything at any given time. Our chains seem to get dull and slow fairly quickly.
It shouldn't take that long, you are probably waiting to long to sharpen it. Frequent light sharpenings are better than waiting for it to dull especially letting it get really dull. when the chain is at sharpest note how big the chips are, when they start getting smaller sharpen it. 5 light swipes on each tooth should suffice. If you run it dull the cutting edge of the tooth is going to start to round over. When that happens you need to file back to that rounded edge which means removing a lot of metal.

Quick tip if you have a vice, you can clamp the bar in the vice. Lock the chain and sharpen, unlock the chain as needed to advance. As the other poster noted mark the tooth you started with, if you don't need to mark it because you easily see what tooth you started with you are probably waiting too long to sharpen it.

You really should not need to sharpen much, keep it out of the dirt. that takes the real sharp edge off of it instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
After some experimenting I learned an 18" blade is fine, but more important than blade or motor size is getting a non-homeowner chain. The homeowner chains have stupid anti-kickback safety teeth that pretty much prevent the saw from cutting anything. I was amazed when I first changed out. Suddenly it went through many logs like butter (depending on the type of wood). You have to go to a specialty store or lumberyard to get the better chains. You will not find them at Home Depot, Lowes Tractor Supply or the like.

This is a good point. Even a small saw will really "wake up" with a good "professional" type chain. Or go with a "narrow kerf" chain and bar set. Bailey's has these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House