Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times

Advertisements

( you might need to replace the innards of the tank IF it has been sitting empty for a while those gaskets,washers and other doohickeys get kinda dried out over time...or so I found out from doing some renovating over the yrs.)
good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:15 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
( you might need to replace the innards of the tank IF it has been sitting empty for a while those gaskets,washers and other doohickeys get kinda dried out over time...or so I found out from doing some renovating over the yrs.)
good luck!
Thanks for the tip! I actually misspoke when I said the toilet was empty. For some reason I thought it was.. But there was water in both the bowl and the whatever part it is called, under the "hood".

Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You need a new stop valve. Go get one of the new shark bite type stop valves from Home depot. The new connectors are amazing. Also buy a tube cutter and some plumbers tape if you do not already have these.

Unscrew the supply hose that goes to your toilet. Put some plumbing tape on the threads for the new stop valve (wrap around the threads about 5 times), and screw the toilet supply line onto the new valve (tighten it as much as you can with your hand). Turn off the water for your entire house (lever in the basement). Use a tube cutter to cut off the old stop valve (leave enough pipe for the new valve). Slide the new stop valve onto the pipe stub. Turn the water back on. Open the new stop valve.

You are done.

With those new shark bite type connectors, you can do this in about 8 minutes.

Be sure to get the new quarter turn stop valves. The old style do not hold up very well. It is very common fo rthem to leak when turned back on. It happens so often, that I usually have a new stop valve handy whenever I have to turn an old one off and back on.

If you get any leaking, it will almost certainly be because the toilet supply line is not screwed on tightly enough to the new stop valve. Turn the valve off, tighten the toilet supply line (you can use pliers if you must, just to not push too hard with pliers or you will break something).
In my opinion the 1/4 turn stop valve is a far superior piece of gear. Ignoring momentarily the reliability aspect, anyone who has ever been in a mad rush to crank down five or more full turns on an old, stiff stop valve to prevent an overrun will appreciate the hell out of a new, 1/4 stop valve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House