Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times

Advertisements

JimRom,

I am actually just about finished with an article I am writing regarding how to check out a builder or GC's claims and background. One of the major points in my article is about the consequences of using unlicensed Builder's, GC's, contractors, etc. When you visit these peoples WEB sites, read their brochures, etc., they all have the same recurring themes and statements; "I have 25 years building experience", "I've been a licensed builder for over 20 years", etc., etc. Most people just don't know how to check these claims.

Over the last year alone I have inspected so many cases of bad work by these people that it is scary. When I'm finished and send the client the 60+ page report I get yelled at BIG TIME by others for the detailed report. But when it is said and done the client knows they need to have these issues checked by a real professional in that particular area. The sad part is the local authorities having jurisdiction over these things will do nothing to stop it!

I would like nothing more than to be able to return to the office and whip out a short report, in minimum time, and then go feed and play with the dogs. Unfortunately that is rarely the case anymore, and hence one of the reasons for my article. Most importantly though is pure consumer protection!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,925,320 times
We hired licensed contractor with insurance. He is very careful guy; sometimes he is too careful (everything has to be perfect). Plus my husband is super picky on those details. If he is not satisfied, he will ask contractor to redo it. Therefore, the whole progress is super slow. For tiling 2 full bath (1 with shower; 1 with tub), it has been 3 weeks and still not completely done. I was very pissed off yesterday because the contractor told us the he is out of money so that he cannot hire other guys, ie he will do it all by himself alone. The timeline will be delay another 2-3 weeks. He did not ask for more money, but we really afraid that he will just run away and leave all mess to us. Something that I do not understand here. I told him to hire more guys so he can finish the job faster and go on to next project and earn more money. However, he told us that if we want more guys to work, we will need to pay. Now the project delay for 2 months already, but he still comes in at 10 and leave at 4:30. We can ask for penalty or compensation for our time loss?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
We hired licensed contractor with insurance. He is very careful guy; sometimes he is too careful (everything has to be perfect). Plus my husband is super picky on those details. If he is not satisfied, he will ask contractor to redo it. Therefore, the whole progress is super slow. For tiling 2 full bath (1 with shower; 1 with tub), it has been 3 weeks and still not completely done. I was very pissed off yesterday because the contractor told us the he is out of money so that he cannot hire other guys, ie he will do it all by himself alone. The timeline will be delay another 2-3 weeks. He did not ask for more money, but we really afraid that he will just run away and leave all mess to us. Something that I do not understand here. I told him to hire more guys so he can finish the job faster and go on to next project and earn more money. However, he told us that if we want more guys to work, we will need to pay. Now the project delay for 2 months already, but he still comes in at 10 and leave at 4:30. We can ask for penalty or compensation for our time loss?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with demanding that you receive what you contracted for and agreed to pay for. We obviously do not know the entire details but there are questions you should consider.
  1. What did you initially speak to the contractor about having done?
  2. What did you finally contract to have done, and what price did you agree to?
  3. You say that your husband is having the contractor redo many things to his/your requirements. Was there any clause in the contract about paying additional for work performed above and beyond what is being contracted for?
  4. Are your expectations in line with what you contracted for?
So far, from what you have written here, I would expect that the contractor is very good, but is trying to hard to please his client, all at his/her own expense. It is important for any service provider to make the client happy. But there is a point where the service provider reaches a "Loss" position by going above and beyond what was contracted for. Possibly this contractor underbid your job, did not make sure you were fully cognizant of what was being contracted for, or a variety of other potential issues? There is a point where the contractor needs to realize that a particular client's desires can not be met under the current contract. At that point they might have to make some very disturbing decisions.

Is it possible that is the point you have reached?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
There is some great advice above. I would just like to ad one thing.

Ask for references. Of jobs the contractor had to go back on. We all can get friends to tell you nice things.

Talk to people about how problems were handled.

If they say they never have any, pass them by. They are either lying, have things to hide or, inexperienced.

A few years ago I changed a water well pump Thanksgiving morning. That is a customer I give as a reference.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,925,320 times
We have contract with 1 month timeline (it's been 4 months now), but we have been adding on projects during the process. Of course, it's under both side agreement (with price, workload and timeline). Whenever there is issue found, we always ask him to provide estimate to fix it. We never ask for free job.
I just hate people keep telling me that it will be done in 2 weeks, but not even closed to be done after 2 weeks. I don't care that you need 2 weeks or 2 months to complete the job, but I need accurate timeline to plan my schedule (like arrange my son daycare, arrange moving company etc). I will take kitchen flooring as an example. We change the flooring from procelain tile to stone tile. He takes 1 week to think/try (at job site) which is good way to do it. 2nd week, he tried to put 2 rows down and found the tile is not easy to stay flate and even, but still has his guy keep doing it like regular procelain tile. After done, we went to take a look and not satisfied with the result(tiles are not flat). We asked to redo it and we paid for all material and even the labor for 4 days tile job. Isn't that fair to us? If a contractor is not capable to do it (not enough knowledge or resource), he should speak out and let go part of the jobs so that we can hire the professional stone tile setter and it will speed up and relax his workload as well.
My contractor is a nice guy, but not well planned/managed for the project. I don't think we underpay him. We paid for all materials and delivery. All he provided is labor. The work done by himeself is nice, but not those done by his sub contractors. End up he has to do it over again to make it good. He also realized that and fired those guy last month. While doing one man show, he could never met the timeline he set before. I was hoping that he can find some other guys to speed up the process, but he is running out of money to hire out.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
When you visit these peoples WEB sites, read their brochures, etc., they all have the same recurring themes and statements; "I have 25 years building experience", "I've been a licensed builder for over 20 years", etc., etc. Most people just don't know how to check these claims.
Unfortunately, this isn't a sure-fire way to tell the legit from the illegit. The reputable ones will also put how long they have been doing the work on their web sites. For that matter, I have my length of experience on my site. But as you said, people don't know how to check the claims. Too many people can be snowed over by pictures of past work and never bother to actually call references and make sure the contractor actually did the work he's showing pictures of. Anybody with a digital camera can take a picture and say they did the work.

Again, the moral is "check references, license, and insurance." If the contractor gives you any problem about these 3 things, move on to the next one.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
I'm in Colorado. We are about to hire a contractor to install laminate flooring, and tear up our carpet and tile to do so. I can't find anything on licensure here, so I've been asking for references and checking to see if they have a business license with the Secretary of State. Not sure what else to do.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I'm in Colorado. We are about to hire a contractor to install laminate flooring, and tear up our carpet and tile to do so. I can't find anything on licensure here, so I've been asking for references and checking to see if they have a business license with the Secretary of State. Not sure what else to do.
Check with your county for a DBA.
Check with your state to see if they need a licence, then if they have one.

The Secretary of State is for motor vehicles.

This is a good start.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1165693060177

Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I just sent you an email.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
The secretary of state is for businesses, LLCs mostly, but a way to find the registered agent, which is who you sue. I know, trust me.

I checked my county online, no luck, will have to call.

The state of Colo. appears to not require licenses. Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Check with your county for a DBA.
Check with your state to see if they need a licence, then if they have one.

The Secretary of State is for motor vehicles.

This is a good start.

Colorado.gov: The Official State Web Portal: Business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House