Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I thought they were the same.
Mobile Homes and Modular Homes are not the same animal.

Modular Homes are typically pre-constructed, then transported to site in 2-4 pieces, and the final assembly takes place on site.

Mobile Homes are completely self-contained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,681 times
Not sure I agree with these generalizations. This was moved from the NJ forum, where many are now being sold in coastal areas when older bungalows are torn down. Most people these days can't tell the difference once they are done. I doubt very much that they affect resale value a lot. There are plenty of poorly-built stick homes too. Ever watch Holmes on Homes?

We looked into these a year ago quite seriously, and was quite surprised what we found. With some limitations, these appear to be entirely customizable, many designed from scratch. I expected to have to choose between four models and that was it. Materials look to be quite good. Most are constructed and transported from western PA.

I was actually pretty amazed at how much work is left to be done at the job site by subcontractors once the sections are set in place. We walked through a half dozen or so under construction and I was pretty impressed at what I saw, with the exception of the windows, which looked kind of ordinary.

Per square foot, I'm not sure I know whether or not they save money, but they supposedly speed construction time considerably. In the end we purchased a resale instead, but I would certainly consider one if I was building.

Rhys

Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I thought they were the same.
A mobile home is like a home in a trailer park. A modular home is a regular house that is built in sections in a controlled environment and then shipped in pieces to a building site where it is then assembled.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:01 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Amazon.com: Prefabulous: The House of Your Dreams Delivered Fresh from the Factory (9781561588442): Sheri Koones, Sarah Susanka: Books

Ran across this book at the AIA convention last year and you can see some of the awesome homes that are made in sections or in a factory.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Modular Homes?

Yes! Over and over again.
Did you do a search of the forum for "modular"?
There are over forty threads where modular is discussed in some form or another.

Would I buy? Yes.
Can you tell the difference? Yes, if you know what to look for (interior). From the outside? Only if you were there during the putting together phase. Performance? No.
HVAC? Yes, of course! How do you think they'd stay in business if they didn't.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Modular Homes?

Yes! Over and over again.
Did you do a search of the forum for "modular"?
There are over forty threads where modular is discussed in some form or another.

Would I buy? Yes.
Can you tell the difference? Yes, if you know what to look for (interior). From the outside? Only if you were there during the putting together phase. Performance? No.
HVAC? Yes, of course! How do you think they'd stay in business if they didn't.
Right.

If you know what you're looking at, and for, you can pretty easily spot a modular home. No biggie.

Also, there are some modular homes that are extremely well built - probably better than most on-site built homes.

There are too many variable involved to make a blanket statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House