Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times

Advertisements

Do modular homes vs. stick-built have a stigma attached to them for resale? Do you believe they are as solid as stick-built homes? One obviously can't watch or monitor the construction in a factory. Are they able to put in any type of heating (natural gas where there's a line, of course) as well as central air? Any thoughts and/or experiences of yours would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Do modular homes vs. stick-built have a stigma attached to them for resale? Do you believe they are as solid as stick-built homes? One obviously can't watch or monitor the construction in a factory. Are they able to put in any type of heating (natural gas where there's a line, of course) as well as central air? Any thoughts and/or experiences of yours would be greatly appreciated.
Modular homes are built to a higher standard than stick built.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I actually though about one of those for my mother. She is living in a 2-story row home in NE Philly and is getting too old to be that far and it's falling apart. She wont get anything if she can sell it at all, and a modular seemed like a good alternative. My only concern is what the people are like who live there, she couldn't take kids running all around or anything.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
Modular homes are designed and built primarily in a way that they can be transported. Some of the design is limited to allow for the additional structural support needed to make it mobile, and the layout necessary to accomodate the trailers. Also material grades are usually compromised for the additional cost associated with making it transportable. To answer the OP's question, yes you may have central air and a you could run gas to it.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Someone told me modular homes were built pretty strong to handle transport. Sergio, what material grades would be compromised?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Are you thinking of "Mobile" homes? That's different than "Modular homes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I actually though about one of those for my mother. She is living in a 2-story row home in NE Philly and is getting too old to be that far and it's falling apart. She wont get anything if she can sell it at all, and a modular seemed like a good alternative. My only concern is what the people are like who live there, she couldn't take kids running all around or anything.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Someone told me modular homes were built pretty strong to handle transport. Sergio, what material grades would be compromised?

Material grades such as hem fir or yellow pine as opposed to douglas fir framing. OSB exterior sheathing instead of DF. Although you can choose what type of windows and interior trim packages, most I've seen, go with the vinyl windows and basic trim. Truth be told,they are cheaply built with extra effort put in to make them transportable, and lifted (by crane) into place then bolted together.

A stick built home has more flexibility in the layout, and is built in place to stay there.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Material grades such as hem fir or yellow pine as opposed to douglas fir framing. OSB exterior sheathing instead of DF. Although you can choose what type of windows and interior trim packages, most I've seen, go with the vinyl windows and basic trim. Truth be told,they are cheaply built with extra effort put in to make them transportable, and lifted (by crane) into place then bolted together.

A stick built home has more flexibility in the layout, and is built in place to stay there.
Thanks for your responses. I am a bit uneasy about the resale value which is why I asked about the "stigma." There's one which I've been looking at online which seems very suitable...but it's been on the market a LONG time; didn't know if it was the bad market or the fact that it's listed as a modular home.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Are you thinking of "Mobile" homes? That's different than "Modular homes."
Yes, I thought they were the same.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Modular homes are a crap-shoot. Get one from a good company, with a good design, built on a good day, and you're apt to have an extremely good house.

On the other hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House