Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

That's also my reasoning behind adding some "real" framing trimwork around the windows. It gives the illusion that the windows are actually larger. The big window would appear to be a "picture" window and let's face it those smaller windows would simply look much better, far less bare expanse of wall there to look at. LOL On the little house I redid this last summer, all I did was reframe the windows and everyone thought I'd actually replaced them. It was hysterical. LOL The OP could get away with a good 1x5 trim which would make the windows look huge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 06:48 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The folks at Sherwin Williams are very helpful and they know their paint. Once you decide on a green for the house (choose 3 and try them out on the side of the house), they will be able to help you choose a good combination for trim and the right red for your door. For example, they'll know if your green has a lot of yellow in it, or a lot of blue in it, etc. and can steer you to the complimentary shades of trim colors.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not read everyone's suggestions, but I bet they're all pretty similar. Your house could be just adorable without too many changes.
Get rid of the metal awning and that ugly storm door
Power wash your siding
Get a pair of shutters (the correct size- which is the length and width of the glass area of the window).
Paint the shutters and the front door the same color.
Place a window box under the triple window and fill it with plants that will flower all summer, like impatiens
Bring the flower beds in front of the house waaay out, so your foundation plantings will be out from under the eaves. Plant a few nice evergreen shrubs. Mulch them with nice dark mulch.
After this, if your budget allows, I would make the front stoop about 2x larger and replace the railings with wood.
If you really need a cover over the front door, get the same carpenter who makes your railings to make a nice pitched roof that is connected to your main roof.
Don't forget to post some after pictures.
I know you said you didn't read all the comments, but if you could see the size of this yard you wouldn't say make the flower beds bigger, you'd say make them SMALLER! there's hardly any yard otherwise.

I'm not decided yet on paint color but had seen some green houses around town that we'd liked and were thinking about that color. We'll for sure research it a bit more before we decide. That's interesting about the trim around the windows, we'll have to look into that.

All this sort of screams $$ at me, but maybe there's a way to do it for cheap? The house is really not worth much so we don't want to "over do" it, if you kwim. it's a fine line of improving it without overimproving and losing our investments.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Your house isn't "ugly," it's just a blank slate. After you paint, add a little landscaping and a new screen door; they both will work magic.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
It looks to me like you might have asbestos shingles. Do you know for sure??? If you don't know, call a reputable painter to confirm and for an estimate to paint. (It may cause problems if it needs scraping, etc.)

Asbestos shingles can be painted over but could also cause problems down the road when you go to sell. They can be shingled over or vinyl sided. Look into those new vinyl shingles.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 AM

we were told they were asbestos shingles, yes, but haven't had it "prooved" or anything. It is very common in the area, so it's about 50/50 as to whether it's worth worrying about or not.

I don't think they need scraped, just power washed? I did start another thread about weighing the cost between repainting them or residing over them. Please share if you have any experience/expertise!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
I know you said you didn't read all the comments, but if you could see the size of this yard you wouldn't say make the flower beds bigger, you'd say make them SMALLER! there's hardly any yard otherwise.
I have/had a really small front yard. Instead of mowing that extra 3' of grass between the old planting bed and the sidewalk, I just plated stuff right up to the sidewalk. Plant taller stuff in the back, and shorter stuff in the front. Maybe consider evergreen shrubs so that the house doesn't look so barren in winter.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the asbestos siding, if it's in good shape. Just wash and paint it.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I have/had a really small front yard. Instead of mowing that extra 3' of grass between the old planting bed and the sidewalk, I just plated stuff right up to the sidewalk. Plant taller stuff in the back, and shorter stuff in the front. Maybe consider evergreen shrubs so that the house doesn't look so barren in winter.
But I have 3 little kids, and since the house is on a corner the yard is equally spaced around the house-- i.e. no backyard. So they will be running thru this space to play. Don't get me started on whoever laid out this city, all the corner lots are like this and many many homes have not enough yard. It's a starter home, so we'll move up eventually, but nobody will want to buy this house for more than we did with it looking like this, haha.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
But I have 3 little kids, and since the house is on a corner the yard is equally spaced around the house-- i.e. no backyard. So they will be running thru this space to play. Don't get me started on whoever laid out this city, all the corner lots are like this and many many homes have not enough yard. It's a starter home, so we'll move up eventually, but nobody will want to buy this house for more than we did with it looking like this, haha.
It's so smart of you to not take all of the children's play space away. We have a huge yard, but I only really landscaped a small portion of it, due to the kids needing their playspace. You are only inviting trouble, for them and heartache and stress for yourself to landscape too much. A small soft border, mulch, and a few potted plants are all you really need. If you opted for a couple of window boxes or planters with legs, (pedestals) set into the ground in front of the house (if you don't want to mount anything), it would go a long way to give some "curb appeal" to your home.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Planters is a great idea! the in-ground beds that are here don't appear to be in great shape, so I'l have to probably do something with them anyway. Planters would be good because they'd be up a bit and away from the kids and the dog's reach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House