Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

My everyday silverware (and it's not really silver but who cares) is what my mom and I collected with Betty Crocker coupons when I was a kid. Part of my Hope Chest. (Do girls have them anymore?) I'm pretty sure the pattern was called "Old Rose". This was the 60's. Anyway the "ends" of the forks and spoons are very pointy and slip through the openings at the bottoms of the basket so for them it's "down". For everything else it's "up". And I hand wash knives.

Oh, how I loved those days when the mail came and my mom and I would open up the package and ooh and ahh over something as simple as a fork. Happy memories.

Interesting question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:06 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Follow your owner's manual. Mine, surprisingly, says the silverware can go either way, so we don't pay attention to down or up (except for knives).

Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,067 times
This is interesting! We must be the only family in the world that puts them all facing downward. My husband does rinse them all off pretty well first though, so they get clean (yes, I said my husband does this ) I think we both grew up doing this. However, it has always been annoying to go to grab a clean fork or spoon as soon as they're clean, and have to "fish" until you find the right utensil. Maybe we should change our ways. But, we also worked at a camp kitchen where we learned about putting the clean dishes away right, and you can't grab the eating part once it's clean. So if you were worried about that, you'd have to pull them out to put away carefully

Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
My dishwasher has holes for each utensil, so they have to go face up, expect the knives, which only fit in the open basket, which I place down.

The dried macaroni visual disturbs me, I always get made fun of because I completely rinse off everything (w/soap sometimes) to the point of washing it for the most part (its absurd, I need to be medicated!). I've been known to take out dishes out of other people's dishwasher that are dripping with pudding and stuff. I've made various attempts at just leaving it, I just can't, lol.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I always imagine, if I put the steak knives up, that I'll slip on a watery floor or something and become impaled on the knives when I fall.

I am surprised that no one ever used that type of injury on TV -- either as part of a crime scene, fight, or a strange injury on a hospital TV show.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Everything goes down at my house. I would want to re-wash anything that I had to grab the part that would go into my mouth with my hand to take out of the machine.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
All untensils down, knives in the back of the basket. No little kids at my house.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Forks and spoons: I mix them up. This is actually recommended in my DW manual. Why? So they don't "nest" (and thus impede water flow and cleaning power).

I don't wash knives in the DW. My daily utensils are silver-plate and the knives have stainless blades. Mixing metals is discouraged. All of my sharp kitchen knives get hand washed as well.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
Thanks for the input guys/gals. Rep points have been given to all those with suggestions or responses.

I really like the idea of seperating them as you put them in to make it easier to put away. I don't have no "spooning" going on here as of yet.

Now my life is complete!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:06 AM

214 posts, read 564,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Everything goes down at my house. I would want to re-wash anything that I had to grab the part that would go into my mouth with my hand to take out of the machine.

I am like you here. . .I think about it the same way. But I've noticed that sometimes my spoons/forks do not come out as clean as I'd prefer (I'm a little ocd sometimes ). So, I place them up and knives down.

But before I go to retrieve any clean dishes/silverware, I wash my hands VERY well. And I also require everyone who helps to wash their hands very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House