Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM

66 posts, read 340,788 times

Advertisements

Two nights ago my 5 y.o son was bringing a new jug of milk up from the basement and accidentally dropped it on our wood floor. We immediately cleaned up all of the milk and then mopped the floor with pine oil and water.

Now, the floor smells of sour milk and I don't have any idea short of tearing up the floor of how to get rid of the odor.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 AM

157 posts, read 437,188 times
Take a vinegar solution and wash the spot. Are the floors painted or hardwood?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM

The floors are hardwood. But the issue is that the milk has got under the floors and is impossible to clean without tearing up.

I'm hoping someone will tell me I can pour something something on the floor that can get under the floor, kill the smell and not swell the wood.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,616,834 times
I'm assuming that you don't have access to the subfloor from the basement?

Really, if you just wait a while that smell will abate. Sour milk isn't forever.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 AM

jimboburnsy,

Our basement is finished, so it would take some effort to get the the subfloor. What are you thinking?

Also, I think about all of the trash cans that smell no matter how long ago the trash was in them and then wonder if the milk smell will really go away.

Dan

Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,726,908 times
I would think hydrogen peroxide would be able to get under there and breakdown the milk but I don't know if it would have any negative effects on the floor. Is it hardwood planks or a laminate on top of an engineered wood?

By the way, cleaning your floors with oils and waxes is not good for them in the long run.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansuz1 View Post
jimboburnsy,

Our basement is finished, so it would take some effort to get the the subfloor. What are you thinking?

Also, I think about all of the trash cans that smell no matter how long ago the trash was in them and then wonder if the milk smell will really go away.

Dan
I was thinking that if the basement was unfinished you would be able to apply any number of treatments directly to the subfloor without taking the risk of damaging the flooring in the process. Since the basement is finished I doubt that would be worth the effort or expense.

I know the "party juice" trash can smell that you are describing, but I'm also thinking about the rat skeleton somewhere in my walls that no longer stinks. I would try to wait it out for a few days before I spent any money or took any chances with the flooring.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I will give it a few days more to see if it resolves itself, but then I may try the H2O2 route. I'm also now thinking that the milk did not get under the hardwood, but maybe just into the grooves. That might make using H2o2 easier. I'll have to test it in a closet first to see what it does to the finish.

Thanks again,

Dan

Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansuz1 View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I think I will give it a few days more to see if it resolves itself, but then I may try the H2O2 route. I'm also now thinking that the milk did not get under the hardwood, but maybe just into the grooves. That might make using H2o2 easier. I'll have to test it in a closet first to see what it does to the finish.

Thanks again,

Dan
I would be inclined to treat with white vinegar first, maybe diluted 50% with water...

Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,141,855 times
If the milk didn't swell up the wood, then it probably didn't get under it, or even soak in much. Even if it did, you wouldn't be able to do much of anything from underneath anyway.
Did the milk spill somewhere you maybe didn't mop it up? Like under the fridge?

At any rate, its probably in the wood grooves and the vinegar solution sounds good, as well as peroxide. Or time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House