Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times

Advertisements

I have a nuch of old stuffed animals from the 80's and beyond what is the best way to wash them ? I don't want to put them in washing machine . if I were to hand wash then what kind of detergent is best?

any suggestions on how to do this

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I have a nuch of old stuffed animals from the 80's and beyond what is the best way to wash them ? I don't want to put them in washing machine . if I were to hand wash then what kind of detergent is best?

thanks
Tie them into pillow cases and wash them in the washing machine on a gentle cycle. Just put each one into a pillow case, tie it shut (securely) and wash. They'll come out fine. I find that throwing in a couple of heavy towels helps to keep them pulled down to the bottom where they get cleaned well. You can also buy mesh bags to wash them in but why waste the money when you probably have plenty of pillow cases. You can also tumble them dry on a medium heat setting in the pillow cases.

I would use baby detergent or a fragrance and dye free detergent and make sure you do a second rinse to get all the soap out.

My daugher's favorite stuffed animal (A purple penquin named Bruce) has been through many a trip through the washing machine. Granted, he needs an eye patch these days but he's been around a while. He's held up pretty good for the number of washings he's been through.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Build-A-Bear also makes a spray-on stuffed animal cleaner. Don't think it works as well as the washer machine but if you are afraid to put them in the machine you could try it.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM

would the dye in them run? do I put them in alone or with each other?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
would the dye in them run? do I put them in alone or with each other?
I have never had problems with dye running from stuffed animals. You'd have to look at the material. If it's shiney (definitely synthetic) it should be fine. If it looks like cotton, you might want to be wary and wash them separately not so much because it might lose color but because it might pick up colors.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have never had problems with dye running from stuffed animals. You'd have to look at the material. If it's shiney (definitely synthetic) it should be fine. If it looks like cotton, you might want to be wary and wash them separately not so much because it might lose color but because it might pick up colors.

so you have done this method before with success ? what brand of detergent did you use?

most of these are cotton it looks like to me

Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:

thanks
I have a white mesh zippered laundry bag that I put stuffed animals and a treasured shredded blankie in and throw it in the machine with whatever laundry detergent I am using at the time.

I think I picked it up at Bed, Bath and Beyond but you could probably find one at Walmart.

It works great and then I take the stuffed animals out of it for the dryer but leave the blankie in it so that it doesn't fall apart any further.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I have successfully machine washed many things including clothes and stuffed animals which say "Surface wash only" or "dry clean only". I haven't ruined anything yet. Mostly that is on the item as a cover your a-- type of warning. Most stuffed animals are made of poly blends and cotton or synthetic stuffing.

Now if you have a Steiff wool stuffed with excelsior you know of course never to try anything like that.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I have a white mesh zippered laundry bag that I put stuffed animals and a treasured shredded blankie in and throw it in the machine with whatever laundry detergent I am using at the time.

I think I picked it up at Bed, Bath and Beyond but you could probably find one at Walmart.

It works great and then I take the stuffed animals out of it for the dryer but leave the blankie in it so that it doesn't fall apart any further.

that sounds good I'll check that out, mesh bag

Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have successfully machine washed many things including clothes and stuffed animals which say "Surface wash only" or "dry clean only". I haven't ruined anything yet. Mostly that is on the item as a cover your a-- type of warning. Most stuffed animals are made of poly blends and cotton or synthetic stuffing.

Now if you have a Steiff wool stuffed with excelsior you know of course never to try anything like that.
Me too. We have a beloved Gund bear that has seen many wash and dry cycles as he has lived through many illnesses.

I also have a number of steiff animals (from the 80s) that would never go near the washer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House