U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,174,224 times

Advertisements

I'm considering replacing all the shower heads in my nine apartment building with low flow ones.
I'm concerned that the tenants will see a difference in the performance and won't like it. What are the differences, if any, that might bring complaints? For example I read that many of these shower heads are aerated, which lowers the shower water temperature. Is that true? Is a non-aerated one preferable? I definite don't want the temperature lowered.
Are there any other possible issues?
Any low-cost shower head recommendations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,838,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
I'm considering replacing all the shower heads in my nine apartment building with low flow ones.
I'm concerned that the tenants will see a difference in the performance and won't like it. What are the differences, if any, that might bring complaints? For example I read that many of these shower heads are aerated, which lowers the shower water temperature. Is that true? Is a non-aerated one preferable? I definite don't want the temperature lowered.
The "showeree" will perceive a lower water temperature on an aerated, low-flow head. Smaller water droplets that have more time in the air will cool more quickly and its enough to notice a difference (at least, that's what I think is happening). To me, it feels like about five degrees but is probably a lot less than that. If your water bills are always huge, it's probably worth trying but I've found that a low-flow head has a way of turning a 5 minute shower into a 10 minute shower. The results may not be as profound as advertised due to the human dynamics.

Yet another human dynamic: When I was still a renter I lived in many apartments and a few rent houses with low-flow showerheads. Every one of them was removed the first day, replaced with a giant rain-spout and tucked away in a cabinet or drawer until I moved out.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM

5,510 posts, read 22,325,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Every one of them was removed the first day, replaced with a giant rain-spout and tucked away in a cabinet or drawer until I moved out.
Agreed.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,743,028 times
Quote:
I think you may have to try some. I installed a WaterPik (this is a handheld one not just a head) with a low flow mode, but it relies on the water pressure to work best, it blasts high velocity but low GPM. Basically the system could work okay if you have decent pressure since it converts into high velocity. However, everyone is different so they may or may not like it.

If you think someone might change the head, you could get some of the colored hardening adhesive to put along the seam and later you can see if it's broken.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM

25,708 posts, read 25,036,822 times
Youre really not saving any water like many may think. When you have lower water pressure in a shower, you end up having to take longer ones to be able to wash and rinse thoroughly...and people like me, who have waist length hair, it will take half the night to rinse all the conditioner out.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 PM
f_m

Here is the link to the Waterpik low flow heads. Clearly nicer than straight fixed aerator heads, but apparently still save water.

Low Flow Shower Heads - EcoFlow Fixed Mount Showers

Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 PM

8,292 posts, read 24,072,863 times
Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't waste my money on them. Due to the inexpensive nature of tap water, your rate of return is just too small.

If a shower head needed to be replaced anyway, fine. Go ahead. But I wouldn't replace heads that are working fine.

The best way to save water is for people to take shorter showers.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,869,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't waste my money on them. Due to the inexpensive nature of tap water, your rate of return is just too small.

If a shower head needed to be replaced anyway, fine. Go ahead. But I wouldn't replace heads that are working fine.

The best way to save water is for people to take shorter showers.
Inexpensive? Depends on where you live!

I've used low-flow shower heads for over 20 years. I have no trouble rinsing, even with waist-length hair. No trouble with temps either - the shower is hotter than I can stand. I currently have the hand-held Water-Pik, have had no trouble with it.

If you live where water is plentiful and inexpensive, then I agree - as the old ones stop working or as tenants move out ... replace them one by one.

If water is scarce and dear, get them now. Around here, we get rebates from the water company with proof of purchase.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:52 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,949,508 times
I had my own shower head, a handheld style one from WaterPik, in my rental apartment. I installed it myself and put the landlord's shower head on a high shelf, where it sat until I moved out five years later. (Just because I rented didn't mean I didn't have disposable income for simple comforts like a decent shower head, nor did it mean I wasn't skilled enough to change it out myself.)

If you buy the cheap $4 ones, you can expect many of your tenants to do exactly what I did, because a junky shower head sucks to live with every day. If you buy nicer ones that actually give a good shower, then your strategy to save on your water bill might eventually pay off.

Junky low-flow heads come in two types: the kind that are essentially a regular shower head with a restrictor somewhere in them, and the kind that spray out a high-velocity mist. The former just don't put enough pressure behind the stream; you may as well be showering under a bucket with a few pin holes pricked in the bottom--these ones take too long to rinse you off, so tenants will take longer showers out of necessity. The latter spray out tiny droplets at a high velocity, and can feel like tiny needles as the spray hits the skin. Many people do not like how these feel. They also cause a lot more moisture in the air, fogging up the mirrors a lot faster, which is annoying to live with. (And since we all know that tenants never turn on that loud-ass builder-grade "fart fan" while showering, you don't want anything that adds moisture to the air unnecessarily.)

If you're going to go through with this, research carefully (WaterPik, for example, makes some good ones, but they're expensive), and try a few models out for yourself at home, just to make sure your tenants will actually want to use them instead of installing their own.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Inexpensive? Depends on where you live!
That's true, I would suspect places like Arizona are not too cheap as far as water costs go. I pay more for water/sewer than gas/electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or