Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by househuntinggal View Post
The previous owner of our home did not have any overhead lighting installed by the builder in the living or dining rooms. We want to get estimates from a couple electricians on how much it would cost to install a chandelier in the dining room and track lighting in the living room. Our townhouse is fairly new (built 2005), we live in central NJ - what kind of ballpark figure should we expect?

Does the electrician also fix/patch up the ceiling after the work is done?

Thanks in advance - I am clueless about this...!

Should be around $700 maybe 800. It's about a days work tops. Yes you'll have some drywall to patch. Not including parts. As forvthecdrywall most ekectricians not do drywall. They do usually have a drywall guy that patches the walls. When I do a retro I cut squares then put them back so thecdryeall guy has the piece. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Why doesn't anyone ever think to come through the floor above? It's a lot easier to have carpet restretched than to have texture matched.
I suppose that could be done. But I think I'd rather have the holes patched than have someone mess with the flooring in the rooms above. In my case I have old-fashioned parquet flooring which you'd think you could just pry up, do the electric work and re-lay the parquet. But I still think I'd rather just patch any ceiling holes.

I've gotten a quote of 400 per room and that's WITH attic access, but no current fixture, so no boxes or braces. And I was told the joists are too far apart so the usual support braces won't work. So they'll have to do some extra work on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House