Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM

47 posts, read 279,120 times

Advertisements

The previous owner of our home did not have any overhead lighting installed by the builder in the living or dining rooms. We want to get estimates from a couple electricians on how much it would cost to install a chandelier in the dining room and track lighting in the living room. Our townhouse is fairly new (built 2005), we live in central NJ - what kind of ballpark figure should we expect?

Does the electrician also fix/patch up the ceiling after the work is done?

Thanks in advance - I am clueless about this...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
I would imagine NJ prices are higher than my area, but i'm thinking about $400+ per fixture depending on accessibility of the space and other considerations; track lighting would be more.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:26 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househuntinggal View Post
The previous owner of our home did not have any overhead lighting installed by the builder in the living or dining rooms. We want to get estimates from a couple electricians on how much it would cost to install a chandelier in the dining room and track lighting in the living room. Our townhouse is fairly new (built 2005), we live in central NJ - what kind of ballpark figure should we expect?

A chandelier can be really easy if you have attic access over the space and/or there is already a fixture of some sort in the room. If you have to run new power, install a switch, fish wires and install a bracket or blocking to hang the chandelier from (especially without attic access) your hourly labor charge goes way up.

Some electricians are really good with sheetrock patching but you are probably going to keep your costs down considerably by having a handyman or drywall sub follow the electrician to fix any sheetrock problems.

I think Southgeorgia is probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised if your quotes were all in the $1500-$2000 range.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM

47 posts, read 279,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
A chandelier can be really easy if you have attic access over the space and/or there is already a fixture of some sort in the room. If you have to run new power, install a switch, fish wires and install a bracket or blocking to hang the chandelier from (especially without attic access) your hourly labor charge goes way up.

Some electricians are really good with sheetrock patching but you are probably going to keep your costs down considerably by having a handyman or drywall sub follow the electrician to fix any sheetrock problems.

I think Southgeorgia is probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised if your quotes were all in the $1500-$2000 range.
Directly above both rooms there are bedrooms, so I don't know what that does for access... We pretty much need to start from scratch for both the chandelier and track, no existing fixtures in the rooms, all we will have are the actual lighting for him to hang up. I was hoping we could get it done under $1000, but not surprised to see it could be double that!

Thanks for the info

Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Directly above both rooms there are bedrooms, so I don't know what that does for access...
pretty much guarantees it will cost a lot more than i first estimated.

Quote:
I was hoping we could get it done under $1000
not happening if there's no attic access. with attic access, the only holes that need to be cut are for the fixture box; but now there will need to be holes at the edge of the ceiling where it meets the wall to fish the wire down to the switch. possibly more depending on the span; fish bits can easily get out of control on long distances and end up going through the second level floor. do you have popcorn ceilings? those are almost impossible to match.

on something like this there's no way to give an accurate estimate without seeing it.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
pretty much guarantees it will cost a lot more than i first estimated.

not happening if there's no attic access. with attic access, the only holes that need to be cut are for the fixture box; but now there will need to be holes at the edge of the ceiling where it meets the wall to fish the wire down to the switch. possibly more depending on the span; fish bits can easily get out of control on long distances and end up going through the second level floor. do you have popcorn ceilings? those are almost impossible to match.

on something like this there's no way to give an accurate estimate without seeing it.
100% correct on everything.

No way to give a guesstimate without seeing it. Without attic access above the rooms, it CAN be done, but will be expensive. Highly unlikely you will find anybody to do the job right for under $1000. You may find a fly-by-night guy that will say they will do it for less, but watch out for workmanship and "extras".

Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:

A lot of factors will affect the answer to that one. Some electricians simply charge by the hour, some charge by the job. And yes, we've always fixed any work done, making it look like no one has ever been there, thats what we're supposed to do. Ive always done estimates according to the job because you have to include the needed parts.

".......Quote:
I was hoping we could get it done under $1000

on something like this there's no way to give an accurate estimate without seeing it......"

I can tell you that no attic access will cost more because they will have to get the wire from point A to point B somehow, unless you want those unsightly wire strip cover things going all up your wall and across your ceiling...

Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
OK am I missing something?

Cut out hole in the ceiling.
Install box
Fish wire across the ceiling
cut hole where ceiling meets wall
notch wood
fish down to switch.
(If no switch, intall switch box and fish to power line)

3-4 hours work.
If your guy is getting $250 - $333/hr he darn well better be really good

Old 03-15-2010, 01:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post

Install box
notch wood
fish down to switch.

3-4 hours work.
Sounds pretty simple, doesn't it?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post

Install box
notch wood
fish down to switch.

3-4 hours work.
Yep, sounds easy... good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House