Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Make sure they have liability insurance.
Insist on a copy before they start any work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:08 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
They do. I was sure to check on that. I don't know. A member just emailed me a co that has really long pole saws. Maybe I'll go that route given the expense.
NO!

If you have large branches over your roofline that need removed, which from your post, it appears you do; do not take short-cuts and use the lowest bidder. Use a reputable company that has the equipment to do the job properly and safely.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,671,023 times
That seems like an amazingly low price for the amount of work! Definitely do a little research on the company, maybe check with the BBB, and see if you can find any reviews online. You might also call the state licensing board to see if they have any information about the company.

We had a damaged tree removed from our back yard last fall. It was too hard for us to remove ourselves without damaging the fence, but it wasn't nearly the hazard you are describing with branches, etc. close to the house. That tree, along with pruning a few branches on another, cost $750. They removed the branches, left the wood for us, and left the stump. Cost does vary by area, but that's a great deal if they are reputable!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Southern MD. That price is pretty standard around here if overhead lines are involved. He's correct that the price will probably go up later in the year. What makes me wonder is the number of trees you're having removed, by my count 12. I'm assuming they're fairly large.
The cedars aren't that large. Not as large as the Maple near my house. I could probably mange the cedars on my own, but the removal is not something I'd want to deal with. I have a huge dead pine in the front and he quoted me a separate price to remove that- $300

Quote:
If they are and the maples are near the house the contractor will have to send a climber up to rope off the limbs and bring them down one by one from the top with a helper or two on the ground. I've done that myself, both in the tree and on the ground, and it's a pain. I don't know how big the cedars are but I spent about 7 hours last weekend on one. The work isn't bringing it down (unless it's close to a building) but limbing and cutting it once it's down.
Again, with that low a price check his bonding, licensing and insurance with a fine tooth comb. In MD those types of companies have to be licensed at the state level so checking is easy.
Will do. Thanks for the advice. Btw, these guys are all professional climbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It's a huge job. You really need someone with a lift to do work like that near your house.

The price is really, really...low.

Last year, I priced having two maple trees trimmed at my new house. Just having the branches "dropped" and me doing all the clean up is going to cost $550. Wood is heavy. I'm going to have to haul it away in small loads. They wanted $1100 for just trimming my two trees if they hauled the wood away.

I check their references and get them to do the work.

You may want to ask them if they're grinding down the stumps... but, even if they're not, $1100 is an AMAZING price!!!!
Yea, perhaps so amazing that it's too good to be true? I'm going to take the advice here and go at with a fine tooth comb. I'll call my city as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Insist on a copy before they start any work.
Indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
NO!

If you have large branches over your roofline that need removed, which from your post, it appears you do; do not take short-cuts and use the lowest bidder. Use a reputable company that has the equipment to do the job properly and safely.
Yes, we do. I've only seen his co van, but they're stating they have the equipment. I think a wood chipper is brought in (or something).

Eeek. Now I'm worried. lol I can't win today lol.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,027,395 times
You may have found a hungry contractor that's given you a low bid because of the recession.

I would check references... ask around.

It may be a good company who is desparate for work. You never know!

Do they have a lift truck? (they may rent one)

Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
You may have found a hungry contractor that's given you a low bid because of the recession.

I would check references... ask around.

It may be a good company who is desparate for work. You never know!

Do they have a lift truck? (they may rent one)
They came to my house so I don't know what they have. I don't know. I did haggle. I told him I don't have a lot of money and was stern because that's the truth. His rhetoric was pretty good as far as I could tell (tree health, fixating on neat/clean looking property, the importance of professional climbers, etc), but what the heck do I know? Regardless, I will actually call the licensing board.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,027,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
They came to my house so I don't know what they have. I don't know. I did haggle. I told him I don't have a lot of money and was stern because that's the truth. His rhetoric was pretty good as far as I could tell (tree health, fixating on neat/clean looking property, the importance of professional climbers, etc), but what the heck do I know? Regardless, I will actually call the licensing board.
I had a guy at my old house who was a tree climber.

He worked for himself and he was WAYYYY cheaper than anyone else. He was a great guy with excellent references.

He climbed trees to cut them. He didn't use a truck lift.
He literally climbed these huge trees and threw down branches over the house in little pieces until he got them away from the house.

You may have found someone who you'll like... and who gave you an off-season, recession based, "I need the work", slow-business price.

Could be a "win-win" situation.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I had a guy at my old house who was a tree climber.

He worked for himself and he was WAYYYY cheaper than anyone else. He was a great guy with excellent references.

He climbed trees to cut them. He didn't use a truck lift.
He literally climbed these huge trees and threw down branches over the house in little pieces until he got them away from the house.

You may have found someone who you'll like... and who gave you an off-season, recession based, "I need the work", slow-business price.

Could be a "win-win" situation.
He does have a crew, but says they are all climbers as well. Eh, I'll make the phone calls monday, if all is right, I'll go for it.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:20 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,392,022 times
In your area it's probably a good price. We've got one now that's an old oak that's well above the second floor of our house and leaning toward the house. A good storm comes along and it'll go through the roof easy. We had several people give us estimates that ranged from $250 to $500.

Along the same lines, we had a few massive trees come down in the last storm. The roots and everything were pulled out of the ground. We had the guy that gave us the $250 estimate come estimate the removal of these trees. $75. Includes cut up and haul off.

My daughter is in the photos. She's 18 years old. About 5'4". That's how big the trees are and how deep the hole is that's left.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM

$75 is very fair. Your post eases my mind a bit. Obviously, it's way more expensive in some areas compared to others.

And wow, that root system is huge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House