Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,396 times

Advertisements

The fence between our house and the neighbors is old and starting to fall down. It is approximately 18 years old. We do not have a good relationship with the neighbors but have tried to talk to them some time back about replacing it and got no where. Now he is finally willing to talk about it but he wants to tear down the fence, replace the posts and the top and bottom boards but re-use all of the fence boards to rebuild the fence. The wood is redwood. How do I, who knows nothing about lumber, know if the boards are really worth using or if he is just trying to do the cheapest job possible? I did notice that some of the boards are cracking and he says that won't matter. We have put aside the money from a home refinance to replace the fence with all new materials but the neighbors says he's not spending a bunch to replace the fence. He seems to be calling the shots or trying to and I just feel uncomfortable about these old boards. Can anyone give me any information or advice? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 02:31 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Get a survey done and build a new fence on your side of the property line by 3 inches. Neighbor can't tell you what to do on your property.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Whose fence is it?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Whose fence is it?

The fence is a common backyard fence which separates the two properties so we are both responsible for the upkeep.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Why don't you guys walk the fence together and select board by board which are worth saving and which need to be pitched? See if you can agree or not. Just tell him you are uncertain that the idea works for you so let's walk it together and discuss. Can you pour a glass of wine or each have a beer as you walk? I once had this same issue and we couldn't resolve it. Our neighbor wanted a total new fence and we were flat broke at the time. He wound up putting a new fence right up against the old one and we replaced boards on the old one. Oh well......we all tried.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Why don't you guys walk the fence together and select board by board which are worth saving and which need to be pitched? See if you can agree or not. Just tell him you are uncertain that the idea works for you so let's walk it together and discuss. Can you pour a glass of wine or each have a beer as you walk? I once had this same issue and we couldn't resolve it. Our neighbor wanted a total new fence and we were flat broke at the time. He wound up putting a new fence right up against the old one and we replaced boards on the old one. Oh well......we all tried.
There is some really bad blood between us. Sorry to say there won't be any wine sipping or beer drinking together. The other issue that I forgot to mention is that the fence boards will need to be trimmed off on both ends, according to him, which means the fence will be even shorter than it is now. I do not want a shorter fence, I actually want a taller fence. I want as much privacy from them as possible and I would think they would want the same. I would like it to be 6 feet and I don't think that's an unreasonable request. It's only 5 feet now and would be something less than that by the time he's finished.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Then it is time to build what you want just on your side of the property line and let him worry about what their side looks like.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Get a survey done and build a new fence on your side of the property line by 3 inches. Neighbor can't tell you what to do on your property.
This is the best advice ever for the bad neighbor fence thing.
Save yourself the aggravation of anything involved with your neighbor. Put the fence on your side and that is the end of that. This is good also because you can pick out the fence that you like and not have to worry about what he likes.

neighbor and fence stories have been around since the beginning of time and they still are.........
I know from experiece, buy your own, on your own side.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I absolutely agree with Poltracker and nightcrawler. Build your own fence on your own property. Get a survey done, check with your city planning office or HOA for requirements and permits, have utility lines marked, select the fencing materials and go from there. It can be fun and satisfying to build your own.

The last thing I'd want to do is get into a partnership deal with someone whom I couldn't get along with to start with.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristynron View Post
The fence is a common backyard fence which separates the two properties so we are both responsible for the upkeep.
What exactly does this mean? Is the property the fence is on not owned by either house? Is there something in writing that says you are responsible for the upkeep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House