Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:52 PM

109 posts, read 658,626 times

Advertisements

So below is a picture of my house, we also have 2 nice trees in front which are not pictured as they are on the other side of the side walk and we just added a 2 layer stone circle around each tree and filled it in with white marble stone and already looks much better. We are doing more landscaping tomorrow and over then next few weeks but what I really need help with is colors for the house. I really dont want to have to paint the trim but the door and shutters can easy come off to be painted but I'm at a loss of what color. Can I leave the trim that gray/brown color and change the shutter color? Or does the trim and shutters have to be a different color? All the little Squares in the windows have been removed and I think I'm going to leave them out, not sure yet. Also should I match the door color and shutter color? Or should the door be something different. I'm lost. Thank you for any help!

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs215.snc1/8223_127881898127_503838127_2438405_7327587_n.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 PM

792 posts, read 4,489,020 times
Personally I don't think the house colors need to be changed. I like the way the siding, shutters, and trim all coordinate with the brick. I don't know what other color scheme you could have, unless you wanted to paint the brick (which I think would be a terrible idea). What's hurting your curb appeal is the stunning lack of landscaping. The house looks nice though.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Agree about the landscaping - it needs some color and some layers.

The front door seems to disappear - maybe it needs some color also?

But I'm certainly no expert!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
The house color isn't terrible, it is quite nice but could use some pizazz.... but the bright white garage door is more obvious than the front door!

Why not paint just the garage door the color of the current front door so that it will blend in better with the rest of the house and paint the front door something like a deep eggplant color? (I know it's not the norm but I think it would look awesome and it would be a sophisticated color choice that would help highlight the front door. It wouold be the one dark element on the house and would stand out properly.

The shutters on the bay window and below are completely out of scale with the windows, personally I think they could all go. And I would paint the brackets that are below the bay window the same color as the garage door, just to highlight them a bit.
Great choice leaving the grids out of the window by the way, they are too chintzy and busy looking anyway.
The landscaping is a big deal too. I think the planting choices could come from the eggplant color of the front door, I'm seeing plum colors, pink, chartreuse, white, deep greens and blues.
Would certainly concentrate on moving that walkway further out and down the driveway from where it is currently, you can barely see it as it is.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

577 posts, read 2,061,069 times
The house itself looks fine. I agree with the other posters and think it needs some landscaping close to the house. Something next to the driveway on the left under the light and something under the front windows. If there's a way to dress up the front steps that would be good, too, since they are plain concrete. Maybe a potted flower plant on a couple of the steps? You might be able to make a bush or flower garden in an L shape next to the steps and along the front under the windows. Maybe soften the lines by making the edge curved rather than a solid line.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 PM

109 posts, read 658,626 times
Thanks Everyone, but like I said in my original post, landscaping is already being taken care of. I'm just looking for advice on colors for the front door and shutters. :-)

Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM

69 posts, read 294,662 times
I think you can "pop out" the front door - its hardly noticeable! perhaps a dark red-mahogany color? Everything else (sans) landscaping is tip-top!
Also the mailbox - you can make it the same color as the front door! nice coordination and it will not blend in with the greenary! lol

Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,768 times
I would paint the front door a chocolate brown and add some Flowers and colorful shrubs to the front of the house.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM

165 posts, read 1,285,335 times
I have to second the excellent points made by bellalunatic. The white garage door makes the garage too dominant. Even though most are purely decorative, shutters still look pretty silly when they could NEVER cover the windows they're on. I would also consider updating the light fixtures. They disappear against the brick and look undersized.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:52 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Your home is beautiful, I however would paint the front door and the shutters a hunter green. The garage door I would paint brown (not feeling the white) I think that will look nice with the other colors of the house. I kind of like the rustic woodsy stuff, as you can tell.
A few schrubs around the house withe some colorful flowers in front of the should do the trick. Maybe a fancy light fixture over the garage door to take away the starkness?
Other than that, I love your house !!

just my opinion, which is worthless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House