Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,090,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
OOHHHH Fallingwater you just burst my bubble this morning.. after reading what desertsun41 and some others said about junk cars never parked in the yard - I thought I had a business opportunity. I could get a double decker bus and drive people around who haven't seen such a thing as a "personal salvage yard" or the newest concept in storage - buy an old heap and fill it full of crap that you will hardly ever, if at all use. The true selling point is that you can just walk around it and look in the windows when you are trying to find something...
Hoarders on A&E - I do not need cable I have one next door.. I am considering erecting some bleachers and charging admission to include an ice cold beer... Of course if I did that the alcohol board would be all over my azz... I complained and called the sheriff's office so many times I had the deputies cell phone memorized and one of the neighbors asked if I was trying to adopt him...

Attachment 61144
Sorry I messed up your business opportunity. You gave me a good laugh this a.m.

In all seriousness I am sorry you have to deal with your neighbor. Your picture looks all too familiar and I feel your pain. My husband and I have a running joke. Every time we bought a house, if there are no idiots in the neighborhood, they will come. We always tried to make wise choices when buying our homes and never bought next to anyone that were junk collectors. But you can't control who will move in next. That always seemed to be our problem. We would get a good few years and then the idiots would come. People that store cars in their yard lack common sense and you simply can not argue with someone like that. City officials simply do not want to deal with issues like this. They pass the buck and after awhile you the responsible homeowner becomes their problem, not the blight homeowners. When we decided to sell our first house, we basically begged the guy to put his car in the street before our house showings.

I finally appealed to him. I said, "look... you do not like me and I do not like you. Wouldn't it be great if I moved and you never saw me again?" I saw the light bulb go off as dim as it was. He moved his car, we sold the house and got out of there. Hubby and I have spent a lot on landscaping over the years. Tall shrubs and any other planting that could hide out a neighbors blight. I personally think the posts on here where people do not believe it is happening are just trying to be annoying. No one can be that stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 AM

445 posts, read 1,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Sorry I messed up your business opportunity. You gave me a good laugh this a.m.
Happy to oblige (why is there no spell check in here)

The really sad part is that I believe that he must have OCD/complusive hoarding from the descriptions I've seen on Oprah, Dr. Phil, Inside Edition, Today Show just yesterday - you would think that I am FOS if I just told you some of the things that he has in his yard because there is NO room left in his house, garage, two sheds, car size tent, small sun screen shelter - so new things that he buys end up getting wet from the rain.. Old stove, refrigerator that he got from the neighbors a few years back that was plugged in and running out side the house with nothing in it - saving it to put into one of the slum houses he owns as rentals.

I put up a web page in Nov '06 with some pictures and points that I was trying to make and I am sure a few people were POed at me but when the sheriff's deputies (plural) allow someone to "lie to your face" is what I told one and still almost NOTHING gets done. The same deputy wrote another violator up but cited the wrong paragraph for the tickets (and of course this guy is a disbarred lawyer - don't ask why - I know what someone told me but I haven't seen it myself) so that ended up being dropped after 1.5 years and no other tickets have been given to that guy.. The deputy just would not give my neighbor a ticket even after numerous warnings and closing out the complaint.. When there was a lag I called and found out the ticket was closed and insisted that it be reopended - the deputy came out again and still never wrote a ticket - there were still a few violations but nothing happened - I decided after emailing the head of the county admin and only getting a few more people driving by to look with no real action that my temper would flare so I dropped it. I only started this whole thing because one lightly wrecked car sat in the driveway for 4.5 years - the only thing that changed was the color of the tarp covering the broken out window and the accumulation of more crap. I think eight cars in the yard front and back is a bit over the top - only one person lives in the house - his kids do not even go inside, they will wait outside in the car with the ac for 30-45 minutes until he is ready to go.
I have considered suing the county / sheriff's office and worst of all the health department for allowing him to live in such squalor. I guess if you do not know the right people you have to do things the hard way. Thanks again for the empathy..

Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,452,226 times
We had a case where the city removed a vehicle from private property and the city ended up loosing big time... at least for a junk vehicle... it was a Studebaker Golden Hawk with some special option... after a well publicized court case... the city paid $12000 to the vehicle owner for removing "Junk".

One person's junk is an other's treasure...

To be fair, the vehicle was stored at a fenced commercially zoned property adjacent to residential zoned property where new homes had gone in... the new homeowners had made numerous complaints about have to look at the car with a tarp over it.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:33 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,131,513 times
I don't know anything about HOAs, but what happens if the owner ignores the demands? Is the property siezed?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,363,378 times
you get fined, by the day, and if you don't pay, a lien goes on your home.

These stories make me very grateful to be in an HOA, don't want to ever move, and I don't have to worry about what wacko moves next door. Car on your lawn, lol. I got a summons for not "edging" along the street, couldn't even see what they were talking about! But I found out, did it, paid my fine, and went on with my life. They didn't trick you into buying into an HOA, so comply!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
you get fined, by the day, and if you don't pay, a lien goes on your home.

These stories make me very grateful to be in an HOA, don't want to ever move, and I don't have to worry about what wacko moves next door. Car on your lawn, lol. I got a summons for not "edging" along the street, couldn't even see what they were talking about! But I found out, did it, paid my fine, and went on with my life. They didn't trick you into buying into an HOA, so comply!
That all sounds crazy to me. I'm a new home owner and one of the reasons I wanted to own a home was so that I didn't have to answer to a landlord. Renting is certainly a cheaper option in my neck of the woods. An HOA is no different than having a landlady, tho, it sound a bit worse. Your hedge isn't trimmed in a perfect plastic way, here's a fine. I pay enough in taxes and everything else. No thanks.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,015,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That all sounds crazy to me. I'm a new home owner and one of the reasons I wanted to own a home was so that I didn't have to answer to a landlord. Renting is certainly a cheaper option in my neck of the woods. An HOA is no different than having a landlady, tho, it sound a bit worse. Your hedge isn't trimmed in a perfect plastic way, here's a fine. I pay enough in taxes and everything else. No thanks.
HOAs will all vary as to what rules exist. Some can have very few rules and obviously some can have a lot. I just bought a house where there are really not that many rules (none involve edging ). It is basically to cover the community pool and building construction. Oh, and no motorcycle rallies.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 AM

445 posts, read 1,601,121 times
Default This is MY treasure chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
We had a case where the city removed a vehicle from private property and the city ended up loosing big time... at least for a junk vehicle... it was a Studebaker Golden Hawk with some special option... after a well publicized court case... the city paid $12000 to the vehicle owner for removing "Junk".

One person's junk is an other's treasure...

To be fair, the vehicle was stored at a fenced commercially zoned property adjacent to residential zoned property where new homes had gone in... the new homeowners had made numerous complaints about have to look at the car with a tarp over it.
Sounds like a classic car Jay Leno would have in his garage... I am sure no one ... eeh not very many people would consider any of the cars (any of the cars you wonder - yes current count is seven, one has been sitting in the driveway since May '05 and only moved when a tree was taken out) anything more than just an old car - the key word in the ordinance is inoperable and a requirement to keep it in your yard is that it be covered by a fitted cover. (covered by a trap just invites critters to live there- I guess it's the same mentality as a three year old covering his eyes and saying "you can't see me" ) In this jurisdiction a fitted cover has been intrepreted to be a tarp, others specify that a tarp is not acceptable. My neighbor must have a line of credit at Harbur Feeght (sic).

In the case of the disbarred laywer, the county has tried but failed to get much done. When I went to Targeeet a few weeks ago I drove by and the yard is even worse. I looked at satellite pictures - but because of the tree cover and position of the satellite - you can't really see much.

I am going to propose to the FAA that my neighbor's yard be submitted as a landmark for VFR (Visual flight rules)?? That one you can see pretty well.

Last edited by Treenoid; 04-12-2010 at 06:12 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
HOAs will all vary as to what rules exist. Some can have very few rules and obviously some can have a lot. I just bought a house where there are really not that many rules (none involve edging ). It is basically to cover the community pool and building construction. Oh, and no motorcycle rallies.
A community pool sounds nice. Getting fined for edging you don't even no about? That's so unfair imo. Are these communities primarily town homes and condos, or can they be for stand alones as well? eta: I just googled and see that they can be. I've seen communities like that before and perhaps they had HOAs (probably).

Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,015,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
A community pool sounds nice. Getting fined for edging you don't even no about? That's so unfair imo. Are these communities primarily town homes and condos, or can they be for stand alones as well? eta: I just googled and see that they can be. I've seen communities like that before and perhaps they had HOAs (probably).
I've never seen town homes that weren't HOA. But you can have them for single family homes as well. That is what I just bought.

You would have the chance to review any HOA rules before you bought. So there really shouldn't be any surprises. You either agree or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House