Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago I bought a Sealy Comfort Series (Whispering Seas) latex mattress. It's sunk. Badly. I paid a fortune for it because I have a bad back and it seemed perfect. HATE IT now. You sleep on either the "bottom of the hill" or the "top of the hill". Never again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
No, they don't all sink, but those with a lot of foam are probably destined to sink and not be very long lasting.

Mattress Forum might be of interest.

The Original Mattress Factory, a chain of stores and factories originally started in Ohio, still makes good old fashioned 2 sided innerspring mattresses. Most of the major "S" brands are not owned by investment groups. They are single sided heaps of foam on a spring on a wood platform, not box spring. There are a few regional makers like Gardner in MA and Buis in MI, etc. that make old fashioned stuff. at least 95% of the innerspring mattresses made in USA use a spring by Leggett & Platt. The Holland spring is considered possibly the best for quality and feel and durability. Imperial Bedding and some of the lesser know names that make hotel bedding offer some good mid-range products, but not necessarily under the Imperial name.

I just added this comment to this thread since it was a recent one.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It's all in the padding. I had a mattress years ago that seemed to last forever. It was very "bouncy" because it was springs with just a little padding on it. Now the padding can be several inches thick. I agree with the guy who said by firm and add your own topper. Latex is a good choice too. I did both, I bought a firm SOLID latex mattress (not just part latex) and put a softer 2" egg crate latex topper on it. Then topped THAT with a quality mattress pad to protect everything. I will probably need to replace the topper every 5 years or so but I can adjust it, use a feather bed, get memory foam, make it thinner or thicker, etc. The mattress itself will probably last 20 years or more.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
No, they don't all sink, but those with a lot of foam are probably destined to sink and not be very long lasting.
Its not the foam, its the cotton and dacron padding.
The foam has a 98% return rate, not so for the other stuff.
BTW, the major bedding makers have an industry standard of a 2" body impression before they will consider the mattress defective.
Latex and memory foam dont have this problem.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
So what's the latest word on mattresses? My wife and I bought a Queen Spring Air pillowtop a few years back, wasn't bad but started to feel a bit sinky. Now, we are looking at King mattresses... no pillowtop, but instead a plush top. We were considering a Sterns & Foster (which I thought was a solid brand) and I read all these complaints online about the mattresses sagging, creating cavities where you lie down. But then I seem to read that about almost every mattresses brand. Anyone have a favorite spring mattress? I haven't looked much at memory foam and the like.
S&F is great. my dad has had one for years.

just remember to rotate it periodically to prevent sagging. people get lazy, then complain that their mattress isn't holding up well.

i've had my king coil for 8 years. no sagging. it's not a fantastic quality mattress, but comfortable and served me well.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
We have 4 S&Fs - one 25 years old - in current use (the oldest is in my brother's guest room). No problems.

We did buy a latex mattress (not S&F) perhaps 5 years ago - and it caved a lot in the middle in about 2 years. Luckily the store stood by the 20 year warranty - and replaced the unit with a new unit of our choice (S&F). FWIW - the standard *was* 2"+ with no one on the mattress. Easy to show. Just run a string the width of the mattress - and put a ruler in the middle showing the indentation. Take pictures - and send them to the manufacturer/retailer. Robyn

Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We have 4 S&Fs - one 25 years old - in current use (the oldest is in my brother's guest room). No problems.

We did buy a latex mattress (not S&F) perhaps 5 years ago - and it caved a lot in the middle in about 2 years. Luckily the store stood by the 20 year warranty - and replaced the unit with a new unit of our choice (S&F). FWIW - the standard *was* 2"+ with no one on the mattress. Easy to show. Just run a string the width of the mattress - and put a ruler in the middle showing the indentation. Take pictures - and send them to the manufacturer/retailer. Robyn
Thats exactly the same thing that happens when the local retailer sends out a technician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House