U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:58 PM

14,781 posts, read 40,936,061 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently purchased a new home (well, new for us). The front living room in the house is a rather dramatic design. It's an open two story design with a large picture window with window seat at the front of the room. It has a built-in wet bar in one corner and then there is an open area so that when you are on the second floor you can look down into the living room from upstairs. All that is really immaterial, but I tried to paint a picture.

Here is the problem. 3 walls of the room are red and there is 1 wall used as an accent in white. Now, we have no problem with the color choices and actually like the scheme. However, the previous owner had wall mounted his flat screen and had a surround sound system in the room. When he took all of this out we were left with multiple holes, some large that the cables ran through behind the TV and others smaller for the speakers. I had planned on re-using the holes for our wall mount, but our furniture is larger, so the screen needs to be moved about 1.5 feet to the left.

I patched the holes in the wall, spackle for the small holes and cut out and installed a dry wall patch to cover the larger ones. They were sanded down and primed. I had the paint color matched at Home Depot which is where the original owner got the paint from.

So, I paint the repaired areas feathering and blending and well, it looks horrible. I knew the chances of matching a red glossy paint were pretty slim, but this is unacceptable.

So, how should I procede?

Option 1 - Repaint the whole room. Please remember it is 2 stories tall and would require major effort or a professional.

Option 2 - Repaint only the wall with the repaired areas from floor to ceiling.

Option 3 - Repaint the wall with the repaired areas, but only go up about 10 feet or so. There is a faint drywall tape line running end to end in the room and would provide a good breaking point.

Option 4 - Is similar to 3, but would involve painting a stripe around the room to break up the wall, although I have no idea what color would work.

Please bear in mind that the room gets a ton of natural light from the large picture window and the two skylights. Our furniture is arranged so that people would be sitting staring directly at the wall that was repaired, which is where the TV will be.

I am personally leaning towards Option 3 and only going with Option 2, if it that doesn't work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM

16,181 posts, read 60,074,513 times
#2 is the general m/o for that scenario.
That's why painters charge so much for dark colors- multiple coats, and repairs require painting "corner-to-corner".

Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 PM

129 posts, read 500,641 times
If you are re-centering a wall mount for a big screen, my first suggestion is to make sure you have stud support.

Any way of posting a picture?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 19,022,696 times
Repaint the whole wall with the repairs. I think your saying the paint does not match. The patch looks good, just not the color. The only way to hide the color patch is to paint that whole wall the same color, even if you had the paint matched. Time will fade color and it sounds like you have a fade that is not the same color anymore. Paint the whole wall and see what it looks like. If the other walls remain off, then it's time to paint the whole room.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,771,652 times
option 1. 3months in the new house i repainted my 2 story greatroom using a 20ft ladder, 7 gallons of paint and the paint roller thing with paint inside. you can do it. i even put crown moldings myself.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Another idea is to mount a black fabric backdrop to reduce incidental light on the moniter while creating some independent depth. No simple draped felt, but graded fabric put over a stretch frame. Cutouts for the lines. Add even a concealed light strip.

This would provide even more of an advantage if there is any sheen to the paint.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys.

@fleck - Yes, I already checked the stud support for the new location and we are good to go on that end. An accent fabric is actually a really interesting idea. The wall looks really blank with just a 42" TV stuck in the middle of it and we were actually contemplating how to fill the space a little more.

@SteveArmy - I know I can do it (and it's nice to know others have suffered, lol), I'm just not really looking forward to it.

@ShaneSA - Yes, the patch looks good, you can't even see it. It's the color that looks horrible. I think the biggest problem we have is that the room was painted a couple years ago and like I said, gets a ton of natural light. I think the issue with the paint matching is that the original color has faded.

We found what we believe to be the original color last night in the garage. It had a decidedly more purple tint to it then the paint which we had matched which is more of a burnt orange. The color on the wall looks to be between the two. Putting two and two together, it would appear that the color on the wall now is what happens when the more purple paint fades over a couple years in strong sunlight.

I'm going to try and dilute what we are thinking was the original paint with base white to try and match the color more exactly. If that doesn't work I think we will repaint the entire wall floor to ceiling in the burnt orangeish matched paint as that is closer to what is on the wall now then the purpleish paint.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM

NJGOAT,
Quote:
An accent fabric is actually a really interesting idea.
My only other suggestion at this point is if you go forward with this...it could make it it look shabby or give the sight and feel of a professional backscreen, depending on how its executed/integrated with the wall & set. Offhand I don't have any resources but think you might want 'home theatre customization' quality...that direction might help.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,771,652 times
well if need more freedom placing a TV you can just mount an 8x4

\

these were taken a few years back so it looks more complete today, with shelving, framed items, vases etc. it even has aluminum fencing now since I got a toddler now lol

Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Steve, that looks fantastic. I really like how that all came together. I am now seriously considering something similar. If I used three sheets with the TV centered in the middle not only would I cover up all the imperfections, but I could add some really cool shelving, frames, etc. and make the whole thing a real focal point.

It would solve both of my problems, how to match the color on the walls and what to do to make the giant wall not look so blank.

Thanks for posting that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House