Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

You might try cleaning the dishwasher with a cycle or two of CLR before opting for replacement. It may help clean out the lime and calcium deposits.

Jelmar | We Clean More Than You Think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,804 times
Ok - I decided to give CLR a chance. I am on cycle number 3 - there is still a lot of grit in the bottom of the dishwasher when the cycle is over.
Does CLR have a lot of suds? I opened the door mid cycle because the dishwasher was making an odd noise and there was a heck of alot of suds. Doesn't seem right to me. What do you think?

Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
The suds are probably old detergent that was chemically bound by the hard water going back into solution.

What is the grit you are describing? Is your well "making" sand? Gather up some of it and put it in a pot on the stove, heat to boiling - does it dissolve? If so it's probably dishwasher detergent that's not being fully dissolved.

Are you certain the dishwasher water is getting hot enough? The temp. sensor may be faulty and letting the cycle stop before the self-heating gets the job done.

Have you had your water tested, what are the hardness ions and how much?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The suds are probably old detergent that was chemically bound by the hard water going back into solution.

What is the grit you are describing? Is your well "making" sand? Gather up some of it and put it in a pot on the stove, heat to boiling - does it dissolve? If so it's probably dishwasher detergent that's not being fully dissolved.

Are you certain the dishwasher water is getting hot enough? The temp. sensor may be faulty and letting the cycle stop before the self-heating gets the job done.

Have you had your water tested, what are the hardness ions and how much?
I did gather some in put it in a pot, heating to boiling. Probably boiled for 2-3 minutes. The stuff looks the same as when I put it in the pot. Limescale maybe? I just love these science experiments, now if I had clean dishes...
Thanks for your suggestions!!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Well at least you now know it's not un-dissolved dishwasher detergent.

If it's lime scale, if you mix it with the CLR it should fizz up.

Have you tried a liquid detergent? This AM on GMA they had someone from Consumer Reports talking about home cleaning products, they specifically recommended Cascade Liquid.

That said I think some detergents work better in some specific water than others.

To sort of repeat myself, if your water is hard enough, I don't think you will ever get good performance from your dishwasher without a softener.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,629 times
This problem just hit me now in NJ. I also have very hard water, but I always used vinegar and monthly dishwasher cleaning agents. Not sure if it is the New Dishwasher or because of the detergent. Repairman said dishwasher is working fine. Thank you for this post, I will start to trouble shoot immediately, only have another couple weeks left before I can return my dishwasher. The first most important problem is No Phosphates in the detergent. It has been banned from dishwasher detergent and it would just be a coincidence as to why I am having this problem. What I did find out that Trisodium phosphate powder that is no longer added to our dishwasher detergents can be purchased separately and added back in. On my way to the Hardware store to buy a bucket. Will keep you advised. Also will compare motor pump HP to old machine. I also will start using table salt, no other due to non cacking agents, helps tremendously. I will be looking for the easy methods that can be done ahead of time at once, not like filling a cup of vinegar every time... Will keep ya posted.

Last edited by Appliance Queen (love em); 11-15-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,693 times
Use Finish Glass Magic. It's specifically made to address hard water in the dishwasher. It works great for me with hard NJ water.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I have hard water too and have been adding a package of unsweetened lemonade mix to the detergent cup, works wonders everything comes out clean with no scale. I would use plain old citric acid but no one sells it up where I am.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We followed CR to BOSCH. It was a terrible mistake. The thing breaks constantly. The only Bosch repairman is 40 miles away. The parts are expensive and often have to be ordered. The repairman said that they are prone to breaking. Looking online, reviews indicate that they are prone to breaking. Also do not clean super well and do not dry dishes worth a darn.

So why are they so highly rated? They use little water, they are quiet, stainless steel and have adjustable baskets. I woudl gladly trade for a noisy water hog that works well and does not break, or at least does nto cost an arm and a leg to repair. (I no longer trust CR at all as a result of this and several other top rated items they convinced us to buy).

Our repairman recommended Kitchen Aid. However he said that he would be really happy if we bought another Bosch. He might even open a repair shop nearby since he visits so often.

Kenmore dish wahshers are just rebranded whirlpool, Bosch, Kitchen Aid and other brands. You need to know what you are getting. There is always a brand model that is the equivalent of each Kenmore. Sometimes Kenmore adds some feature, but usually they just change the name on the front.

By the way, a dishwahser with a built in water softener sounds like a really bad idea. More things to break. Besides, if it does nto have tanks and use salt, it cannot possibly work well.

You can get softeners that use less salt. They have two tanks and use soft water to rinse and recharge the noodles. You can also use potassium instead of salt. This is a health risk for certain people. Less of a health risk for others.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We followed CR to BOSCH. It was a terrible mistake. The thing breaks constantly. The only Bosch repairman is 40 miles away. The parts are expensive and often have to be ordered. The repairman said that they are prone to breaking. Looking online, reviews indicate that they are prone to breaking. Also do not clean super well and do not dry dishes worth a darn.

So why are they so highly rated? They use little water, they are quiet, stainless steel and have adjustable baskets. I woudl gladly trade for a noisy water hog that works well and does not break, or at least does nto cost an arm and a leg to repair. (I no longer trust CR at all as a result of this and several other top rated items they convinced us to buy).

Our repairman recommended Kitchen Aid. However he said that he would be really happy if we bought another Bosch. He might even open a repair shop nearby since he visits so often.

Kenmore dish wahshers are just rebranded whirlpool, Bosch, Kitchen Aid and other brands. You need to know what you are getting. There is always a brand model that is the equivalent of each Kenmore. Sometimes Kenmore adds some feature, but usually they just change the name on the front.

By the way, a dishwahser with a built in water softener sounds like a really bad idea. More things to break. Besides, if it does nto have tanks and use salt, it cannot possibly work well.

You can get softeners that use less salt. They have two tanks and use soft water to rinse and recharge the noodles. You can also use potassium instead of salt. This is a health risk for certain people. Less of a health risk for others.
I would love a noisy water hog that just CLEANS! Is that so much to ask? I have been adding Lemoncid (sp?) to the prewash cup to every load and that seems to help...for now. I have come to the conclusion that as long as I live in a hard water area, I will have to replace the dishwasher about every 4 years. We have lived here for 15 years and I am on dishwasher #4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House