Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:14 PM

424 posts, read 2,334,353 times

Advertisements

Just got word that my inlaws want to spring for the cement to pour a small patio next weekend while they visit. So..... Any tips on how to do this? roughly a 10x10 area, give or take. What will it take? We have some friends who say they know how to do such things but i haven't talked to them yet.

My mom-in-law said something about putting little pieces of tile around the edges to decorate it a bit, has anyone ever seen this done? Ideas?

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 03:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,360,492 times
Lots of pictures here - some more elaborate than I like, but it's a good place to get ideas!

(Nice in-laws! )

Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Yes, my in-laws are great

However, I don't think they know what all this project might require. What I've been reading online makes it sound....well maybe not "hard," but involved. 2-3 days? High costs? What can you all tell me about it? They and our friends who have some experience doing this make it sound easy, but from what Im reading it sounds like it will take a bit more than we might have to give on this particular weekend.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,608,418 times
I don't know where you live, but you may need a permit from your municipality before you can proceed. A few years ago, we replaced a small deck with a large concrete patio. We had it done as a stamped, concrete design and tinted color. We love it. the extra charge for the stamping and color was pretty minimal and makes things really nice. you may want to look into it and just have your in-laws provide the funds and not try to do the job yourself in the time they are there.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:31 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
Just got word that my inlaws want to spring for the cement to pour a small patio next weekend while they visit. So..... Any tips on how to do this? roughly a 10x10 area, give or take. What will it take? We have some friends who say they know how to do such things but i haven't talked to them yet.

My mom-in-law said something about putting little pieces of tile around the edges to decorate it a bit, has anyone ever seen this done? Ideas?

Thanks for the input!
If you have no idea how to do it and don't have the equipment then just a professional is the best advise I can give. You can google concrete aptio if you wan to look at what it involves tho.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM

hiring professionals isn't really in the budget, at least not at this time or for this project. We can borrow tools and have friends who have some knowledge of this. I guess I'm just asking about time and $$, it seems like we may have underestimated those. And those are bad things to underestimate when you have a shortage of them already

Old 04-18-2010, 08:50 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,112,796 times
First of all ask your local township what is their restricitionss on building a patio and get a permit from them. Secondly lay out the propsed patio out on Arhitects paper whereas 1" would equal 1 foot. See if your township requires a permit and drawing and if they do you have it ready.

The construction:
Squarely measure 10'2" x 10'2" for the patio. The extra 2" is for 1" on each side because you will need to place a interior boarder of wood prior to pouring the concrete.
Hammer in a post (1"x1" wood) for each of the 4 corners.
Tie a continuous length of string close to the ground to each post and it doesn't matter what post starts the tie.
When you are finished your 10x10' will be defined.
Remove the dirt by first squaring the down edges with a shovel and dig down 3-4".
You will dig out the 10x10 area 3-4" down and place the dirt away from the area because you will no longer need this dirt. You may have a lot of dirt so keep it away from the proposed patio.

Lay in the 2x4 boards on the interior of the proposed 10x10 area. (The total lengths of lumber should be at least 40' in length and you can use 2x4 lumber).

When you are ready for cement you should hire a premix truck to deliver it.

Level the top of the newly poured patio with a length of wood and sort of vibrate the wood back and forth to remove air spaces. Use a broom to finish the top otherwise it can become slippery when wet.

I have installed around 35 patios in Pa. and I hope the method I use can help you. I know I left out a lot but it can be easier if you rad a book at the local home improvement store.

Total cost if you do the work with friends would be around $1,000 and take around 2.5 days cause the guys helping will need lots of beer....

Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
Do not forget the wire mesh to put in the concrete to add strength. !0X10 ;if you know what you are doing will proably be easy to rent a miwewer for. That much concete would like only be delivered when a larger load was deliver to another site.You will alos need sand or 60/40 to put under the concrete and around the wooden frame to pour.Then of course the finishing is important; not hard but you need the right tools and know how. Othersise you endup with a mess.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 PM

yeah, there's no way we'd be renting a truck. We're either mixing this ourselves or not doing it. The final version is 8x12, we called a store about cement mix and they estimated 50 bags (at $4 a bag= $200). Not sure how much the sand/gravel and supports will cost (wire mesh instead of rebar?) Two sides of this will be right up against the house-- what do we do with that? Can we pour it right against the house or do we have to box it in?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,112,796 times
A bag of cement mix is usually the complete mix and sand and small pea stones are within each bag along with the Portland and lime.

If that is the case then use wire mesh but be careful and use gloves. The entire wire mesh must be tied together with wire for strength. Don't use rebar because it is a real pain for small jobs and you could get injured.

You should not pour up to the house instead medal drip edge against the home then put a limiter of tar board between the home and the pour. (we call it tar board because this looks and smells and feels like a soft mesh of material permiated with tar and is 1/2" thick)

You can mix the concrete in the hole after you dig but make sure you do not dig up more dirt and add the mix and water because large amounts of dirt combined with crete will weaken the concrete. Also the less water you use the better the concrete. Some pros use so little water and call their mix "Dry". It doesn't run and almost looks like moist pour but their work lasts a lifetime.

Try not to do the job in the rain because it can produce a stain on your final product. You can cover the work with plastic if it rains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House