Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows how to water proof concrete flooring. Is there a way to prevent cracks from happening? And is there a way to water proof it so that I can wash it without it becoming wet? And to get rid of the gritty feel that just holds in dirt? My garage floor is always filthy and you can sweep it, but it just holds dirt in all the porous holes. And you can spray it out with a hose, but it just gets messy and the soaks into the concrete and stays wet for a really long time. And it has a crack that I want to get rid of or patch and then I want to prevent new cracks from forming. Any advice would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
There is only two kinds of concrete-
Concrete that will crack, and
Cracked concrete.
Can you waterproof- sure. But what you want is polished concrete. After it's polished you can apply a sealer- that concrete will squeege dry in two minutes.
Repairing cracks is a no win proposition most of the time. Especially if it has displaced (one side is lower/higher than the other). Generally, the only alternative is to caulk with a concrete specific caulk.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Go to Home Depot or Lowes. They sell Garage Floor Paint. I believe it's a 2-part epoxy, and comes in quite a few different colors.

As far as cracking... That either is or is not going to happen, based on what's under the concrete. Painting it won't make any difference.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
No expansion joints cut in to slab? These normally prevent cracks.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Wow. Not good news about the cracks. It is just a slab, cheaply done is my guess. So, some questions....
1. the garage floor paint, do you need to seal it after you paint it?
2. the concrete specific caulk, can you paint or seal over it?
3. what is polished concrete?
4. is there a specific sealant for concrete?
5. what is a 2 part epoxy?
thanks.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:42 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Wow. Not good news about the cracks. It is just a slab, cheaply done is my guess. So, some questions....
1. the garage floor paint, do you need to seal it after you paint it?
NO
2. the concrete specific caulk, can you paint or seal over it?
Seal yes. Paint no. It's silicone; doesn't except paint.
3. what is polished concrete?
It's a honing process- it can be polished to the point that you can see a reflection.
4. is there a specific sealant for concrete?
Stuff like Thompsons Water Seal can be used on concrete- but I don't recommend it.
5. what is a 2 part epoxy?
Two part epoxy is just that- 2 parts. You mix them together and they create a strong bond. You have limited working time with epoxy. There is also concrete stain. Stain is the preferred material for garages because it won't lift from hot tires like epoxy does.
thanks.
When I built a model home I had the painter paint the floor of the unfinished areas of the basement with concrete stain. He did two coats heavy. It definitely made keeping the floor clean easy. The cleaning crew would go through with a wide dust mop- not bad for unfinished basement.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM

So does anyone suggest painting the concrete or staining the concrete? Which is less messy or less time consuming?
The results I would like are to color it something other than the normal gray that it is and to water proof it so if I spill a drink or something I can clean it up easy and dry it with a paper towel or something and not have to worry about mold or wetness plus if it is really humid out I don't want the floor to be wetish, and then I would like something that I can clean easily, keeping dust and dirt and such off easily without it going into all those pores of unfinished concrete. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I like the two part epoxy paint, comes in all colors. Either way you will need to repair the cracks. Shows up less with the epoxy. A web like material glued across the cracks.

A bit of sand or grit is mixed in with the epoxy to give you grip. It is very slick without the grit.

With the epoxy any spills can be picked up with a napkin. Park a old VW on it and the oil can be removed with the same napkin, no stains afterwards.

Last edited by ferretkona; 04-22-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Can you use just any paint and then seal it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House