Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
My best friend just bought a gorgeous house built in the late 60's and even though it has been remodeled, some of the original finishes in the house make it perfect for at least a room being decorated in 70's colors and style. Oranges, golds, brown, maybe some green. I'm not finding any good examples on the internet of rooms that aren't too over the top and cheezy. Does anyone know of good websites for ideas on 70's decor for a high end home?
Retrospace: That 70s Home #6

Flickr: 1970's Interior Design and Residential Architecture (http://www.flickr.com/groups/1970houselovers/ - broken link)

Seventies Design

Google is your friend.

I can't stand the popular '70s asthetic, but I'm sure the time will come when that kind of thing becomes just as cherished and sought after as 20's craftsman or turn of the century victorian is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OMG I don't even think there are examples of attractive 70s decor. I mean, at least not what I consider "typically" US 70s decor. I just assumed that the people who were decorating at the time were:
1. Strapped for money because of the economy and couldn't afford nice furniture.
2. Using drugs which made color combinations like orange and green (chokes) look "groovy."
You never saw my mother's living room. Brown sectional. Burnt orange chair. Orange and avacado green pillows on the sectional. She made it work. And "groovy" wasn't in her vocabulary.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You never saw my mother's living room. Brown sectional. Burnt orange chair. Orange and avacado green pillows on the sectional. She made it work. And "groovy" wasn't in her vocabulary.
My mom made it work too. Multitoned shag carpet, gold sofa, and even a little flocked wall paper thrown in for good measure.

But nothing beat my childhood bedroom of orange and lime green...everyone who saw the room was in awe of how happy it made them feel. And it wasn't overdone, it was subtle believe it or not! I wish I could recreate that but it was mostly the layout of the room itself that made it work.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Do you guys realize you're scaring me?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Some of it is really tough to stomach now -- it's so dark!! -- but some of it could be adapted today's aesthetic. For instance, the "Fresh as Spring" picture that shows the breakfast room.... I like the black and white tile floor and I don't mind the green-draperied walls. The sideboards are fine for me too. The only pieces in that room that really make me shudder are the dining set and the hanging lamp fixture. But I could see how you could replace those items with something more modern and today and keep the rest largely as it is and still have an attractive rrom.

And in the picture above it that shows a den.... I was watching Design, Inc. (Sarah Richardson) once and she was doing an apartment for some college guys. She found a chair and sofa that was very 70s...all that wood and very similar to the ones in the picture. She wasn't able to use it for the guys' apartment but she used it in another job for this woman's boathouse, and it was great. She painted the furniture an off white (or maybe it was a light sage green?) and reupholstered the cushions. Made it light and bright, and it really looked super.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I personally think the Brady house is bad ass. I would take it. Of course it is not the real interior of the house. It was a set.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Do you guys realize you're scaring me?
Cover your eyes!

The burnt orange chair in our living room was a recliner. With heavy wooden arms and a skirt. The material was only slightly softer than burlap. Height of fashion.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Our house was done in shades of green and gold, with walnut furniture.
It was a beautiful house, my mom made it work with classic lines.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
There was not one item in our house that made my mother happier than her Lava Lamp. It was silver with blue wax and a clear liquid.

Just as soon as the sun starting setting, flick, the Lava Lamp was turned on. I'm telling you, she was mesmerized by it. After a long day of dealing with seven kids, I'm sure her lamp and glass of beer were welcomed by her weary soul.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
My mother had the "Medeterranin" thing going on, really ornate. Avacado green, gold and black.......Austrian curtains on the windows, white on white patterened windows shades with heavy tassells, dark wood furniture, black slate top coffee tables, gold fillegrie lamps, black and gold pattern couches, the wall behind the couch was stucco with wooded beams ( they were real though, we will give her that much).................and we ask her now, You actually liked that??????

blech !!!----------seriously !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House