Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times

Advertisements

There need not be any label or stamp of any kind. That drain system is not permitted anywhere in the States. That may even be against code in 3rd world countries. There must be a water seal to prevent methane gas from entering the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There need not be any label or stamp of any kind. That drain system is not permitted anywhere in the States. That may even be against code in 3rd world countries. There must be a water seal to prevent methane gas from entering the home.
It's not a simple elbow ... bottle traps are indeed traps, albeit much more compact than the typical 1-1/4" P-trap.

You can get an idea of how they work from this one ...
http://wilkinsregulator.com/operatio...eets/63183.pdf

Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 AM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,925,447 times
My plumber is only doing rough-in and the general contractor did the final fixture installation because plumber is more expensive. If the bottle trap is not code permitted, my question is why it can be sold in US. Not only in online site, but also in Home Depot and other physical store. They do not even have any warning stating that it's not code permitted.
We checked the installation guide and did not find any related information. My husband will check with the store again. He said last time he might ask the wrong question. He asked the store if this kind of trap is "registered" in US and they said No, but it's they did mention it's US plumbing compliance. Maybe he should ask for compliance data sheet or code. Just like we used ready-to-tile shower pan, the inspector did not know about that and we found the code approval informtion from the company and finally he pass it.

I talked to my general contractor last night, he said the worst case (if we cannot get document from store) will be replacing it with regular p-trap even it looks ugly.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
It's not a simple elbow ... bottle traps are indeed traps, albeit much more compact than the typical 1-1/4" P-trap.

You can get an idea of how they work from this one ...
http://wilkinsregulator.com/operatio...eets/63183.pdf
I thought that might be the case after I posted - if you drop a ring down the sink you can unscrew the lower part and easily get the ring back.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
There are UPC/IAPMO and CSA approved bottle traps:

http://www.mountainplumbing.com/Onli...k/Section3.pdf

But, just because they are approved by 2 "organizations" doesn't automatically make them passable by a convening authority (building inspector of county/municipality). Each authority has the right to approve, deny, or modify the standard (IRC).
The best thing to do is not argue with the inspector- just give him what he wants and go on down the road!
Trust me- I know!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:48 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Here's a solution. Install the P-trap. After the house is approved and you move in, install the bottle trap. If you decide to sell, re-install the P-Trap. I find this situation similar to the flow restrictor in a shower. It's required by code, but once it's passed, the inspector will never know I removed it later, nor will he likely care.

This of course assumes the bottle trap works as advertised.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,925,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Here's a solution. Install the P-trap. After the house is approved and you move in, install the bottle trap. If you decide to sell, re-install the P-Trap. I find this situation similar to the flow restrictor in a shower. It's required by code, but once it's passed, the inspector will never know I removed it later, nor will he likely care.

This of course assumes the bottle trap works as advertised.
I am not that crazy about the bottle traps. Besides, 2 of them are hiding inside the vanity cabinet. No one will see. Only the one in master bathroom will go outside of cabinet. Maybe we can find some nicer p-trap to replace. However, I am thinking if we should claim the money back from the store since those bottle traps are not cheap and caused the inspection failed.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
If you don't like them that much, do try to get a refund on them. I think a failed inspection is a valid claim. The two covered ones can be any old P-Trap and there are still metal ones available for the open one.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
The drain you have is standard for most of Europe... it is very easy to clean or retrieve items that fall into the sink... I personally like the system.

That said, the only thing that matters is approval from your local building department... if it doesn't meet code in your area... it has to go.

There are still parts of the country without building codes... my friend in Texas built a very nice home, he's a contractor... the only permit needed was for septic... any electrical is governed by the Electric Utility that does not have to provide service if they deem electrical is unsafe.

Where I live... one city prohibits any plastic drain, waste of vent pipes... and metal traps have to be 17 gauge with a ground joint. The adjacent town, with the same water and sewer company permits plastic... another one only allows Cast Iron... there is no way any online retailer could or would know...

I would make the change ASAP and thank the inspector for calling it to your attention

I suspect there was a disclaimer about checking applicable code before ordering or seller makes no representations...

PS... each building department should have a procedure for alternative approval... it may be expensive as in requiring certification from a approved testing facility... A contractor friend did this for a canadian fireplace his with fell in love with... he said he would never do it again... after 3 years and lots of time... he got his final with the fireplace his wife wanted.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-23-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The ones I installed in Austria have a water seal... and are ISO certified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House