Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

This forum has some very smart posters!!!
Thanks for all the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Outdoors. What i did( remmeber I am from Texas0 was make a frame, This maybe harder with round glass. I then got some old cowboy boots from firends . I took the boots and put 2X 4 in the top and poured concrete with it braced to center. Then I made rough wooden frame from fencing boards.I then put a length of old jean pant legs down over the leg boards and boots. Then screwed the leg board after determining height to the corners of the frames toes pointing in. Raised the jean legs and tacked them to the frame. Then put the glass top on table.I also made two smaller tables like this for at the end of a bench seat.The older the boots and the more weatheedr the wood the better.
That sounds amazing..
I am a cowgirl wantabe...
I would love a picture if you have one.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
How about a tree stump for a base? If you've got one.

You can tell if the glass is tempered if the edges are etched. If this piece of glass was made for a table top it is almost certainly tempered.

Size of base--should be 50% of the diameter. If the tabletop is 5' in dia. then you want a base that supports the top no less than 15" in from the outside edge.

On thing to remember about tempered glass--the edge is its most vulnerable point. You could drop something heavy on the face (top) of the glass--even a brick, and it might not break. Or you could just tap the edge ever so slightly with something, and it will shatter.
Great idea...and I had wondered how big the base should be ...thanks

Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Take a large decorative planter/flower pot of your choice, fill it to within a few inches of the top with filler of your choice (dirt, packing peanuts, wadded paper, whatever). Cover filler with a layer of scrap fabric, landscape fabric, newspaper, whatever. Fill to the top with decorative rock, polished colored stones, seashells or whatever matches your decor. Add glass top.

* Be sure the top is tempered glass before using outside. Glass tabletops sometimes shatter spontaneously in the hot sun, and tempered breaks into chunks rather than razor-sharp shards.
Excellent suggestion! And there's so much to choose from these days with urns/decorative pots in style, color, as well as material (concrete, clay, fiberglass, foam).

Yes, OP please be careful with the glass! There are lawsuits out there of untempered glass being used and people getting hurt when the glass breaks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House