Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,087 times

Advertisements

Tried EVERYTHING, sprays, Borax, the special ant baits, Terro, you name it! They get in thru...solid walls?? I can't figure it out. They drive me crazy! I kill them, I spray or treat and think their gone only to suddenly see ... no... they just moved to another area!!!! YIIKKKESS I WANNA SCREAM! Anybody had any real success getting rid of these little buggers!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Tried EVERYTHING, sprays, Borax, the special ant baits, Terro, you name it! They get in thru...solid walls?? I can't figure it out. They drive me crazy! I kill them, I spray or treat and think their gone only to suddenly see ... no... they just moved to another area!!!! YIIKKKESS I WANNA SCREAM! Anybody had any real success getting rid of these little buggers!??
Be unrelentless with the Terro... use pop or beer caps and don't skimp on it. You can kill ants all day long but if you don't get to the queen she will continue to pump out new ants.

Fill the caps twice a day if you have to... its not a "now" thing, instant gratification... but once she gets a taste the nest's days are numbered.

Start 10 or so of them around your house and keep them full.

Also, look at every wire coming into your house, phone, electric, cable, etc. A couple of years ago I could not figure out how they were getting in. Looking at the phone line against the sky it was nothing short of a parade...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Be unrelentless with the Terro... use pop or beer caps and don't skimp on it. You can kill ants all day long but if you don't get to the queen she will continue to pump out new ants.

Fill the caps twice a day if you have to... its not a "now" thing, instant gratification... but once she gets a taste the nest's days are numbered.

Start 10 or so of them around your house and keep them full.

Also, look at every wire coming into your house, phone, electric, cable, etc. A couple of years ago I could not figure out how they were getting in. Looking at the phone line against the sky it was nothing short of a parade...
They seemed to stop wanting it! That is what is driving me nuts. A very few will go after it, but the rest will not. I've tried leaving several right along their trail and they go around it to avoid it! UGGHH...I get so nuts about it. Do you have to alternate between the Terro and something else? Are they immune to it now?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
They seemed to stop wanting it! That is what is driving me nuts. A very few will go after it, but the rest will not. I've tried leaving several right along their trail and they go around it to avoid it! UGGHH...I get so nuts about it. Do you have to alternate between the Terro and something else? Are they immune to it now?
Drop some sugar into it... for real. A lot of these ants are oil loving too... use a little mayo.

Check all the wires once its light out in the morning...

Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Drop some sugar into it... for real. A lot of these ants are oil loving too... use a little mayo.

Check all the wires once its light out in the morning...
Oil and mayo...Ok, I will try it. I've tried the sugar, but they just stopped going after the Terro. It worked great for first six months, they went for it in an hour they were gone (dead) and the Terro had been completely consumed. Now the Terro turns to hardened glue like substance because it's there for days untouched except by just a couple ants. Maybe the mayo/oil will keep it from hardening too?

Ok I will try it. I have treated the outside walls everywhere and all cabling, I know I am missing somewhere that they are entering, I just haven't figured it out yet. They always come out after heavy rains, I'm sure the rain and flooding grass chases them back to the house.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. Anyone else have other good tips?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
I've been successful with my DIY terro ... 6 parts sugar, 1 part boric acid powder, dissolved in water. I'll use a few ounces at a time inside a water bottle, with a strip of solution-wetted tissue out the top to give them a path into the bottle. Lay the bottle on the side, tissue drooped on the ant path. Within hours, they're inside, drinking it up.

YMMV, still, but eventually they will be taken care of.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Remove the food source. If it's really your sugar they're after, put it in the refrigerator.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
if you know where they are entering. take some cinamon and sprikle i aound the site, making a line,. they wont cross it. it's worked for me.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Great suggestions here. Cinnamon? Never heard of that one, but I will give it a whirl.

RE: Question of sugar they are after...no, I even find the in the bathroom. After the toothpaste. Paste residuals in the sink and trying to get to toothbrushes. It's gross! I hate them! I get rid of them and then I will find them along a wall in the bedroom...what's in the bedroom they want??? UUUGGGHHH Did I tell you - I HATE THEM? LOL. I'd say they weren't sugar ants, but they look just like them and they DID go after the terro the first couple times, then it's like they are laughing at me with the tiny little segmented heads! LOL

Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming. I will try ANYTHING outside of a blow torch! lol

Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I've been successful with my DIY terro ... 6 parts sugar, 1 part boric acid powder, dissolved in water. I'll use a few ounces at a time inside a water bottle, with a strip of solution-wetted tissue out the top to give them a path into the bottle. Lay the bottle on the side, tissue drooped on the ant path. Within hours, they're inside, drinking it up.

YMMV, still, but eventually they will be taken care of.
What is YMMV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House