Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM

225 posts, read 426,006 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on where you are located. I would NEVER buy a house on a slab again. I had very bad things happen to my ranch-style house on a slab. Having no access to pipes and anything else makes repair so difficult. If you have a leak somewhere in the slab, you may never know. Make sure the heating ducts are NOT in the slab, too. They should be run overhead. I guess if the house is properly taken care of, a slab could be ok. Just no more for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's not all that irrational. My basement is long and skinny, and half of it is finished. While I love the extra living space, I don't love is the fact that so many of the utilities are walled in, and that the finished space also eats into storage.

When my washer decides it wants to leak, I want it to leak onto the concrete floor of the basement, and directly into the floor drain.

Just about everyone I know ... Main floor bedrooms are a 21st century phenomenon. I don't like 'em. Another reason not to buy a new house ...

Regarding your second paragraph------do you also have all your bathrooms, kitchen sink, and dishwasher in the basement?
They also can leak.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A house with no main floor bedrooms would not sell very well where I live.

Who in the heck would buy a 2 story house that had no main floor bedroom ?
Almost no houses in my area have main floor bedrooms. They are all on the second floor.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Almost no houses in my area have main floor bedrooms. They are all on the second floor.
Same here in the Midwest. Our house is something of an oddball in that we do have two small ground-floor bedrooms.

I do wonder, though, as the population ages (helllllo baby boomers) if we will see more of a trend to "universal design" in housing.

As I stated earlier, we are planning a future ground-floor laundry even if we won't use it. We've also discussed turning those two small bedrooms into a main-level master-suite, complete with a roll-in shower stall.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:32 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I know it's regional from watching House Hunters.

When I see a bedroom on the main floor it just makes me think of old people who need it because they can't do stairs. I'm not sure I would consider a house with a main floor bedroom. I like the seperation between entertaining/living space and sleeping space.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
You only need an egress window in a bedroom in the basement. Even if you have no zoning (I don't), insurance standards require it. It's not just a hole for future purposes, but active means for escape during a fire. (had one)

But, being a TX girl, never even saw a basement, now I love them. My older Mom won't go out in winter (5 months) but will walk miles daily in that nice heated/unfinished space!!!!!
We added a couple egress windows in our old house and I was going back and forth as to what style I wanted and I commented about them being easy for the kids to operate in case of a fire. The salesperson told me that the real reason the windows had to be the size they were was not for your kids to get out but for a fireman to get IN fully outfitted. I then picked the kind the firemen recommend the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A house with no main floor bedrooms would not sell very well where I live.

Who in the heck would buy a 2 story house that had no main floor bedroom ?
Main floor masters are only common is pretty high end houses here (unless you only have a single story which are hard to find too). When we moved to the house we are in now we wanted a single story (rambler) with a master suite on the main floor and 3 bedrooms in the basement thinking down the road to old age and me never wanting to move again. We could not find anything like that and hubby didn't want to build. We did find a 2 story with space to add a main floor master down the road.

I am helping my parents find a home to retire into when they move back to the area next fall and main floor living is a must. They are fine now but who knows in 5-10 years.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Actually I take it back about main floor bedrooms being a 21st century thing. A lot of Cape Cod style homes built in the 20s through the 60s had one or two bedrooms on the first floor. Heck, I owned one. D'oh!

As for basements, though, I still wouldn't want to not have one ...

Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,389 times
I lived in Michigan for a long time where basements (both finished and unfinished) were the norm. I loved it for the extra space and versatility. Now that I am in the Southwest, the vast majority of people do not have basements. Where do you store all of your extra stuff? (Childhood memories, Christmas tree, etc.) We have made do so far with the tiny storage space above our garage and the closets in the extra bedrooms but that storage space will eventually go away with children (and presumably the clutter will increase). I would love love love to have a basement here.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
I lived in Michigan for a long time where basements (both finished and unfinished) were the norm. I loved it for the extra space and versatility. Now that I am in the Southwest, the vast majority of people do not have basements. Where do you store all of your extra stuff? (Childhood memories, Christmas tree, etc.) We have made do so far with the tiny storage space above our garage and the closets in the extra bedrooms but that storage space will eventually go away with children (and presumably the clutter will increase). I would love love love to have a basement here.
The whole garage
The vehicle stays in the driveway, LOL

(Not mine! The guy across the street! I shudder whenever I see that door opening, waiting for an avalanche ... )

Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The whole garage
The vehicle stays in the driveway, LOL

(Not mine! The guy across the street! I shudder whenever I see that door opening, waiting for an avalanche ... )
Yes, but we have things like snow and cold weather-we actually use our garages for our cars .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House