Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
ira ira started this thread

657 posts, read 3,930,626 times

Advertisements

I want to install a storm door on my front door. Went to Lowe's and Home Depot. How do I choose between brands? Larson, Pella and Anderson seems to be very comparable in both quality and price. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Decide what style you want, then buy whatever is on sale.

By the way, if you take an ad for Lowe's to Home Depot, they'll match the advertised price then beat it by 11%.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Decide what style you want, then buy whatever is on sale.

By the way, if you take an ad for Lowe's to Home Depot, they'll match the advertised price then beat it by 11%.
Yeah, I guess I'll have to go by price. I just want to make sure that the door is good quality and will last a long time.

Thanks for the tip about the coupon. I didn't know that.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
All 3 choices are quality brands. Just pick the style you like and you'll be good. That old matching price deal mentioned above I thought they all did away with. I don't know why because it was useless. They used to say they will beat a lower price by 10% on any similar product. That was the trick..."similar". The catch is the 2 big box stores no longer carry similar products so you have nothing to compare with.

So if you like the Larson door in Home Depot for $200, theoretically if you went to Lowes and they had that door for $180 you would take proof with you to HD and they would match the $180 and beat it by an additional 10% if it is a similar product. Problem is these stores no longer carry identical products.

So for all intents and purposes this old ad campaign is dead and gone. I have not even heard this mentioned for years till the post above mentioned it. The fact that it is dead and gone might be reason the above post said 11% and had the details fuzzy. These big box stores are very very high in their pricing. They all charge MSRP on everything in the store. Not even lumber yards charge MSRP but the public still think the big box stores are cheaper. Buyer beware.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
Yeah, I guess I'll have to go by price. I just want to make sure that the door is good quality and will last a long time.

Thanks for the tip about the coupon. I didn't know that.
There are several factors to consider, in addition to price.

On the house we live in, I installed a full-glass storm door. It's an old brick house, and we wanted to show off the big oak entry door a bit. But note that our kids are all grown & gone, so though that is our primary-use door, it does not get abused.

On a rental house, however, I recently installed a much heavier-duty storm door. In my opinion, it does not look nearly as nice. But it's going to take some abuse.

So pick the style & look you want. Talk to the salesman at the store. Some of them are very knowledgeable. You'll also be able to tell a lot about the doors just be the feel. You can go anywhere in price from about $79 on up to close to $500.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,698 times
I am also interested in buying a storm door, I was planning on self-installing-has anyone done this, it doesn't look too hard, I am fairly handy, so is this a simple job?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
I am also interested in buying a storm door, I was planning on self-installing-has anyone done this, it doesn't look too hard, I am fairly handy, so is this a simple job?
I've installed a lot of them. Some are much easier than others, just by the way they're built. It also has a lot to do with the frame you're installing it in to.

If you've got a level, a hack saw, a good cordless VSR drill with bits & drivers, you really should be fine. Read the directions carefully, and also use some good common sense.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
There are several factors to consider, in addition to price.

On the house we live in, I installed a full-glass storm door. It's an old brick house, and we wanted to show off the big oak entry door a bit. But note that our kids are all grown & gone, so though that is our primary-use door, it does not get abused.

On a rental house, however, I recently installed a much heavier-duty storm door. In my opinion, it does not look nearly as nice. But it's going to take some abuse.

So pick the style & look you want. Talk to the salesman at the store. Some of them are very knowledgeable. You'll also be able to tell a lot about the doors just be the feel. You can go anywhere in price from about $79 on up to close to $500.

Good luck!
I have little kids so doors will be used & abused all the time :-)

I actually need two doors - one for the front door and one for the back. So, I was thinking full-glass door for the front, which will not be used a lot and dual (glass on the bottom/screen on the top) for the one that will be used all the time.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
I have little kids so doors will be used & abused all the time :-)

I actually need two doors - one for the front door and one for the back. So, I was thinking full-glass door for the front, which will not be used a lot and dual (glass on the bottom/screen on the top) for the one that will be used all the time.
I think you're on the right track. Just have plenty of Windex on hand for that front door!

Regarding the back door, you can get models where the glass opens from the top, and the screen retracts from the top as you lower the glass. Keeps little kids' fingers from going through the screen. It's a nice option, not horribly expensive, and one that worked well for us at one time.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I think you're on the right track. Just have plenty of Windex on hand for that front door!

Regarding the back door, you can get models where the glass opens from the top, and the screen retracts from the top as you lower the glass. Keeps little kids' fingers from going through the screen. It's a nice option, not horribly expensive, and one that worked well for us at one time.
Windex is my best friend these days lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House