Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:42 PM

127 posts, read 747,896 times

Advertisements

I am going to be doing a project where I am cutting poured concrete with a diamond blade. I have to invest in a new circular saw anyway, so I am looking for one that is up to this task. By best I mean:

1. Power of the motor to blast through the concrete.
2. Depth of cut- the deeper the better.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Just go to your local Home Depot (Lowes or Menards, etc.) and look around. Porter-Cables are good. Milwaukee is a good brand. DeWALTs are good.

Stay away from the cheap brands.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Concrete cutting ... a Skil worm drive. You'll need the torque.

It is going to be heavier, though ... so it may not serve so well as an everyday saw. For that reason, I also have a magnesium based one.

Stick with the major brands ... the cheap ones are cheap for a reason.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,198 times
why not rent? they definitely have the best tools i cant afford

Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
why not rent? they definitely have the best tools i cant afford
Renting makes sense sometimes ... large stuff, yeah. If one will be using the tool for more than one project, though, it doesn't make sense.

Heck, there are times in which even for one project, it's cheaper to buy than it is to rent, on the aspect that you're not under any time limitations. In my cases, it certainly was for a wet tile saw ($19 daily vs. $50 for buying a basic one) and drywall hoist ($45/daily; I bought one for $150). If you don't need it afterwards, resell it on craigslist or something. I could easily get $30 for that tile saw, and all $150 back on that drywall hoist.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Definitely get a worm drive saw for this.

We've done thousands of lineal feet of concrete sawcutting for control joints, anchor grooves for coatings, or decorative cuts with a Skil worm drive saw and SAWTEC blades, and the saw is still going strong.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
If you're going to invest in a saw- don't use it on concrete. That's the only thing it will be good for when your done.
Worm-drive is definitely the torque hog. But it also the heaviest portable saw on the market. It's not a H/O DIY type saw.
As far as a good circular saw, light weight, good quality- Porter Cable (now owned by DeWalt). They have one model- that's two (they reverse the model number digits). One's a left-hand and the other a right-hand. Most circular saws have the blade on the right side (I call this a lefthanded saw- think about it and you'll "see" why), Porter Cable has one with the blade on the left (a righthanded saw)-
I love that saw. I have two.

As far as cutting the concrete- rent a gas powered saw with the 12" blade. With that you have about 5 1/2" of cutting depth, plenty of torque and no damage to a sole plate of a circular saw.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Renting makes sense sometimes ... large stuff, yeah. If one will be using the tool for more than one project, though, it doesn't make sense.

Heck, there are times in which even for one project, it's cheaper to buy than it is to rent, on the aspect that you're not under any time limitations. In my cases, it certainly was for a wet tile saw ($19 daily vs. $50 for buying a basic one) and drywall hoist ($45/daily; I bought one for $150). If you don't need it afterwards, resell it on craigslist or something. I could easily get $30 for that tile saw, and all $150 back on that drywall hoist.
I agree and this job seems to be one of them, like floorsanding, scafolding, carpet cleaners, and time machines

Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
You can always do it the new American way. Just get a cheap wormj drive saw at Harbpor Freight and when it burns out, toss it out. With limited use, it may last a while.

I bought a framing nailer there and have used it for five years. It meets my needs. In fact, when our contractors $800 Hitachi nailer broke, he borrowed mine and used it for a week. It jams a lot more than a fancy one, but for basic occaisional use, it serves its purpose.

I prefer this over renting, becasue it can be really inconveneint to get the tool returned. If I do not finish my project on Sunday, and then am out of town for the next week. I either have to try to get my wife to return the rented tool, or pay for it for a week when I do not use it. I prefer to do the work on my schedule. For me. It is cheaper to buy a cheap tool and use it for one or two projects than to rent one.

Many brands of tool motors are essentially the same, Most of them are made in the same factories in China as the cheap ones. realistically if you want good quality, you have to buy used, but then you might loose some of the benefit of technology. Someone can tell you when, but withing the past ten or fifteen years, the quality level of Dewalt, Makita and Milwaulkee dropped. There are specific dates when they change their manufacturing process and a good tool guy can give you those dates. Buy a tool from before that date and you will get far better quality.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can always do it the new American way. Just get a cheap wormj drive saw at Harbpor Freight and when it burns out, toss it out.
I don't think they carry one anymore ... it may be worm driven, but its build was still HF. Pricewise, it wasn't all that great either, considering one can get a Milwaukee worm drive from Amazon for $133 (as of this post's date)

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 6477-20 7-1/4-inch Worm Drive Circular Saw: Home…

As for quality/date of manufacturer ... in the past decade, many have completely moved overseas already, usually with a design change, so I'd venture to say that country of origin is a safe bet. I think 2007 was the transition between USA-made and China-made Skil worm drives. Only time will tell if the recent ones are truly as durable as the old ones.

How durable is durable enough? Well. just recently, my Dormeyer drill conked out. It's over 50 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House