Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM

116 posts, read 326,114 times

Advertisements

We just moved into our home and have some mature shrubs that we would like to remove. Thankfully they are not near any gas lines or other utility lines.

Any tips on how to get them up? We are not particularly interested in saving them. It's just that the dirt around them is pretty hard to dig into and we are not sure how we will get the roots up.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
The simplest most effective way to remove shrubs with no digging is to tie a rope/chain at the base then to a truck bumper and...........jerk them right outta the ground!

Shrubs have shallow roots as a rule so other then the dirt being disturbed this is the best, fastest way to get them gone.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Yeah, there's the old rope-around-the-bumper trick, but that only works if it's within easy approach.

Wet the soil down, and with a pointed shovel, dig the perimeter. Or if you really want it easy, post an ad on craigslist - "FREE SHRUBS. You remove them yourself."

Hey, ya never know ...

Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
1) Cut away all the branches until you're left with a stump.
2) Soak the soil so it's easier to dig.
3) Dig around the perimeter of the shrub, loosening the soil around the roots.
4) Cut any roots that can't be cut by the shovel with loppers.
5) Keep lopping until you can pull the whole shebang out of the soil.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:00 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
1) Cut away all the branches until you're left with a stump.
2) Soak the soil so it's easier to dig.
3) Dig around the perimeter of the shrub, loosening the soil around the roots.
4) Cut any roots that can't be cut by the shovel with loppers.
5) Keep lopping until you can pull the whole shebang out of the soil.

I live with heavy clay soil and I do all of this.

One tool that I prefer to use with shrub removal is a pick-mattock. I've removed several large shrubs in my yard and I prefer the pick-mattock to do the heavy work, rather than traditional garden shovels. It breaks up the soil quickly, facilitating productive shoveling. The mattock end helps to chop up minor roots.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
One thing to add -- keep the stump a decent size so that you can get a grip on it and use leverage to get the root ball out of the ground.

We used this method for "small" (15' - 20') trees at my parents house when I was a kid ... my dad would always cut the trunk at about 6 or 7' -- then put ropes on it. Then we'd all dig/chop at the roots -- then pull on the rope... see where its still connected in roots..

When its not connected anymore - you'll know - because you'll be able to pull it over!

Sure - there's a hole to fill -- but no stump grinding and no suckers coming back from the original root supply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House