Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,507 times

Advertisements

My wife found a tiny snake (about a foot long) about 3-4 weeks ago in our kitchen of our home near one of air vents from the HVAC system. We set it out and sorta wrote it off as them coming out of hibernation. Well tonight we had another one, about the same size, near another air vent in our kitchen. I am guessing snakes are still coming out of hibernation, and they were looking for food.

What I gather is its pretty clear they aren't hatched in the house, given that it was almost a month between seeing each one, and they are also very small, so I am figuring they have found a tiny crevice/opening to get into the house. We have a completely finished basement, with carpet/drywall, etc, so its weird they are appearing on the main level just in the kitchen area, so I figure it has to be via the HVAC system/vents. We have our furnace that serves the lower 2 floors in the basement (gas).

What, if anything, can we do to try to stop this from happening? This is our 2nd year here, and never experienced one last year. Is it just a freak coincidence or do I need to talk to an extermination company or what exactly? We have cats and they are always on it in regard to finding them quickly and thus we get alerted by their behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,079 times
Likely it's the same snake. I'd look for signs of mice, and get rid of any of those you have, and the snake will likely move on. I had one that lived in an old house we lived in. It was a big black rat snake. I never saw it inside, but saw it outside regularly...we figured it came in through the basement, then moved to the attic (we saw snake skins up there) through the walls. If you see it again, put it in a pillow slip and take it further away from your home, like miles and miles away.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
How on Earth can you get a good nights sleep knowing that is could be creeping thru the hvac system.
I think I would have to pack up and move, seriously.................I could never go to sleep if I ever saw something like that.

it gives me the heebie-jeebies just the mere thought of it.
Glad you all are calm about it. eek !!!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Meh, a little snake in your house is no worse than a fly or a moth. They don't eat much.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Meh, a little snake in your house is no worse than a fly or a moth. They don't eat much.

eek, I dont think i could handle a snake, sorry..

I would rather have rats....................eek !!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Well we set that 1 snake from a few weeks ago out several houses away, and I did the same with this one. We do have cats, and cat food sitting out at all times right by one of the vents in the kitchen. I don't think the snake would be able to get to the attic, since our house is 3 floors, and thus we have 2 completely separate HVAC units, and its a completely different HVAC system for the 2nd floor, where the HVAC is in the attic and the ducts come from the ceiling of the 2nd floor, versus the basement and 1st floor, where everything is being fed upwards.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM

I would take off all my vents covers and put a screen behind them and then put the grates back on, that way if it is in the HVAC, it will stay there, probably freeze in the summer (a/c), or die in the winter (heat).............

Ive got the creeps already.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I would take off all my vents covers and put a screen behind them and then put the grates back on, that way if it is in the HVAC, it will stay there, probably freeze in the summer (a/c), or die in the winter (heat).............Ive got the creeps already.
Best suggestion yet. OP, are there any areas around your house where the wood is soft or places where the snake can burrow into?

I couldn't sleep either with a snake creeping around, big or small.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Thats a great idea! What would you do, just cut some screen (similar to what you screen a porch with) just to the size of the grate and then put the grate back on? Awesome! easy fix! See I figure it has to be the vents b/c the snake is so small and thus anything bigger could never get through those grates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I would take off all my vents covers and put a screen behind them and then put the grates back on, that way if it is in the HVAC, it will stay there, probably freeze in the summer (a/c), or die in the winter (heat).............

Ive got the creeps already.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Glad to be of help, I hope that does the trick. Can you call an exterminator to spray the perimeter of the house outside, basement, crawlspace, LOL, everywhere!!! LOL

Best of luck at de-snaking your home,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House