Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,685 times

Advertisements

Hi, Just want to get more suggestion and recommendation for building our new house.

I just got my General Contractor License, and I am a professional engineer working with residential engineering for several years. Recently, my GF got a new job in Oxford and I am planing to move closer to her job from RTP.

Considering that not too much choices for new house around that area, we designed we might build a new house as the land should be much cheaper than in RTP area.

Is the cost of building a new house really cheaper than buying a new house from builder? We visited the web site in Internet that sells building plans and the estimated cost is much cheaper than the similar house you can find in RTP.

As I am a new General Contractor, I believed I can hired all the trades (Electricians, plumber, framer, foundation etc) and also pulled the permit. Also I can stamped my house plan as I am an licensed engineer.

Is there anyone had go through similar stage in building a new house for themselves? Any General Contractor can give me some opinions?Please share all your experience and any suggestions and recommendation will be appreciate.

Danny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,002,054 times
Although we have not done it ourselves, we have thought about it. the difficulty is trying to supervise it while working! I would suggest looking for land in the wake forest/granville county area because the commute to oxford and rtp would be relatively equal. Look for land out off of new light road, purnell road, etc.

You can always be a general contractor for your own home, but the difficulty is finding the subs for the job, who are good subs and know the building codes. Making sure you have all of the permits, getting good inspectors, etc can be challenging.

I think the more organized you can be in the process the easier it will be on everyone.

Leigh

Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,417,489 times
Default Lucky you, and, uh, not-so-lucky-you

Danny, I can't help but chuckle just a bit at the old wives' tales about building a house together -- ie. you and the GF. Supposedly, if the two of you can get through that, no problem will ever be insurmountable. Some truth in that, from my own experiences.

Years ago, my parents bought a fabulous lot in Wilmington, but never could agree on the house. It never got built, and the lot sits there today.

My own husband and I have done some remodeling/upgrade work together, and almost came to blows a few times -- not literally, but agreeing upon things could be quite stressful.

As for building your own place, yes, you can, by serving as your own GC and checking behind the subs, save a considerable sum of money on the cost of building. The problem lies in finding, and using, reputable subs. Check references, and licenses, and go look at jobs they have completed. Talk to those for whom the subs worked. Sometimes, you can negotiate a better price if the sub is already scheduled to be in the general area, neighborhood, etc., on another job and can work your needs in to his schedule. Do your HW ahead of time -- not at the 11th hour. Figure in more time than you initially think it will take.

There is a lot of reward in building your own place, but there is also a lot of headache -- some predictable or foreseeable, some not. Learn to roll with the punches, and be in charge of the project. You will need to make yourself available all hours of the day, and on occasion, the night.

Good luck, and have fun!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 AM

17,413 posts, read 65,584,777 times
Here's an idea-

There's nothing like practical experience.
Get your feet wet- live the experience day-to-day. Find a job with a local division of a national builder.
With your background you could be a great inside asset if you play your cards right. After a year you'll know if it's something you really want to tackle on your own. And you'll have a list of possible sub's for work.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 PM

459 posts, read 2,220,791 times
Do you need to borrow money to build the home or do you have the cash to pay for it? The reason I ask is becasue most banks frown on the arrangement you are proposing (Owner also being the general). Particularily if you have little to no experience, your biggest challenge may be finding a lender...

Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,397,150 times
If you can afford it, add the emergency generator to the home as it's being built with an automatic transfer switch that meets local codes. These things are a life saver. Big models that power the whole home aren't so easily stolen as small portable units.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,195,312 times
K'ledgeBldr gave you great advice.

Moving to a new area, you will likely not have any contacts for suppliers and subs. There are so many things that can go wrong during construction that can cause cost over runs and time delays.

Scheduling the work progress is a lot harder that you might think. Suppliers don't always have materials in stock, or you may have special ordered that must have widget and there is a back log on getting it in. Subs you have lined up to start at a certain date, have a conflict and can't make it then, or don't show up. This part is especially hard if you don't have a past relationship with them. They may go to a higher paying job and put yours off.

Nothing beats some field experience for learning the ropes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House