Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:22 PM

152 posts, read 850,071 times

Advertisements

We plan to tile our uncovered outdoor concrete patio floor ourselves. So far we like slate and travertine for the natural stone option. Some recommended the porcelain tile alternative that resembles natural stone look.

What are the pros and cons between the slate, travertine and porcelain alternative? Looking for input on installation, finish and maintenance if any. We're also open to other natural stone type or tile alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Natural is better. Easier to maintain. Better for water runoff. No slip and slide.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBee View Post
We plan to tile our uncovered outdoor concrete patio floor ourselves. So far we like slate and travertine for the natural stone option. Some recommended the porcelain tile alternative that resembles natural stone look.

What are the pros and cons between the slate, travertine and porcelain alternative? Looking for input on installation, finish and maintenance if any. We're also open to other natural stone type or tile alternatives.
I would urge you NOT to put slate in any area subject to a wet environment. Yes there is "good" slate, but by and large slate would be the wrong application for what you're talking about. It shales (starts flaking and peeling), is much more suseptible to efflorescence etc. Travertine would be a good choice possibly. It should be honed, would need to be properly sealed (many different sealers to choose from so be careful) but versus porcelain it would be more maintenance. They have many very good porcelain tiles that mimic stone. You just need to look around. Making absolutely sure that the floor is pitched properly is CRITICAL or you will have standing water and this will be a thorn in your side down the road. Again, with porcelain you must be certain the grout is well sealed and kept that way. You do not seal the porcelain tile itself.

My company restores natural stone & tile and we see sooooooooooo many poor installations and maintenance problems because of mis-information.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrascal View Post
I would urge you NOT to put slate in any area subject to a wet environment. Yes there is "good" slate, but by and large slate would be the wrong application for what you're talking about. It shales (starts flaking and peeling), is much more suseptible to efflorescence etc. Travertine would be a good choice possibly. It should be honed, would need to be properly sealed (many different sealers to choose from so be careful) but versus porcelain it would be more maintenance. They have many very good porcelain tiles that mimic stone. You just need to look around. Making absolutely sure that the floor is pitched properly is CRITICAL or you will have standing water and this will be a thorn in your side down the road. Again, with porcelain you must be certain the grout is well sealed and kept that way. You do not seal the porcelain tile itself.

My company restores natural stone & tile and we see sooooooooooo many poor installations and maintenance problems because of mis-information.

Hope this helps.

Ken

What Ken said is right plus you may look into epoxy grout that doesn't need a sealer.

busta

Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM

152 posts, read 850,071 times
Thanks for the advice. I visited the store today and found has ruled out Slate due to the finish and long term performance. I still like Travertine but found out that it'll need sealing, grouting and another layer of sealant.

Cost wise it's comparable per foot with the nice porcelain tiles (stone like look and finish). However throw in the sealant price, then we're looking at least about $200 more. Not to mention possibly needing resealing when necessary. It also seems like after grouting and resealing it'll be as slick as the porcelain tile. As now, we're going the porcelain tile route.

Our patio is about 12' by 20'. Would a 20"x20" work or should we stay with they 13"x13"? Our current concrete patio has some pitch. We'll have to make sure to maintain it during and after the installation.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 AM

11 posts, read 202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBee View Post
Thanks for the advice. I visited the store today and found has ruled out Slate due to the finish and long term performance. I still like Travertine but found out that it'll need sealing, grouting and another layer of sealant.

Cost wise it's comparable per foot with the nice porcelain tiles (stone like look and finish). However throw in the sealant price, then we're looking at least about $200 more. Not to mention possibly needing resealing when necessary. It also seems like after grouting and resealing it'll be as slick as the porcelain tile. As now, we're going the porcelain tile route.

Our patio is about 12' by 20'. Would a 20"x20" work or should we stay with they 13"x13"? Our current concrete patio has some pitch. We'll have to make sure to maintain it during and after the installation.
The larger tiles typically create an effect of a larger more expansive area whereas the smaller tiles in some situations create a more boxed in feel. The other side of the coin is that for some novices a 20 x 20 tile can be much more difficult to work with when installing.

In reference to the re-sealing of the grout you can also follow Busta's suggestion above and use an epoxy grout. As with many things I'm not sure what your skill level is and so it may prove a bit more challenging to work with. You could try a small section and see what your comfort level is.

If you are using a good quality sealer on the grout (only the grout) and clean it regularly with a good quality netural pH cleaner it should last for 18 to 24 months being outside. Do not use bleach, pine sol, vinegar and other harsh cleaners. They will degrade the sealing properties of the sealer rapidly.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Ken

Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
We have a 1600 sq ft travertine patio (french pattern). LOVE IT!!!! We didn't use grout (it's over a concrete slab and then sand) and we have never sealed it. The Colosseum in Rome is made of travertine and I don't believe it's ever been sealed.

We went with the travertine for the low maintenance and the fact that it doesn't retain heat. It's very comfortable under foot and it's not overly abrasive, so when my kids fall, they're not all scratched up, but yet its not slippery when wet.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,137 times
Is there a particular reason you're going with tile or stonework? Have you thought of just refinishing the concrete? In the last few years, concrete staining and refinishing has improved immensely and they are getting more popular due to the cost and coverage (especially for large areas). Many universities, colleges and hotels have been doing more concrete refinishing than the traditional tile and stone work. But obviously you'll need to hire a contractor for it (but it may end up being less expensive than doing it on your own).

For outdoor, natural stone may be a better choice.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
I personally like saltillo for the outside

Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I personally like saltillo for the outside
That doesn't get hot or slippery when wet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House