Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Thanks much, guys!
I am not sure whether to call it a ramp as the level difference goes very smoothly... but I do appreciate your help.
Regarding your parking spot suggestions, have you done it before? How?
I will try the most to do it myself, as I am trying to save... but I definitely want something low maintenance.
I like pavers best (looks better overall) but no asphalt, please. Concrete is also an option I might consider.
I would suggest you install bricks/pavers just where the tires will roll-over. This will give you a year or two to decide if you want to do something which will cost more and have possible drainage/maintenance issues. In the meantime, your tires won't tear-up or sink into the lawn and you've spent little time or money.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I did it with gravel only and it works fine. It requires a little manitaince but not much. Our little parkign pad is partly on our neighbor's property (vacant). We had to use gravel so I can move it off their property if they ever do anything wihtthe land and complain about our encroachment. Simple gravel could benefit you in the same way, If you do not like the locaiton you choose, you and always scrape it up and move it.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Thanks much!

What did you put underneath the pavers and gravel?!

I have seen this guy installing pavers on TV and there were 10 different layers underneath, I got lost and did not really understand it.
I heard gravel rolls out or sinks completely, is it true?!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Thanks much!

What did you put underneath the pavers and gravel?!

I have seen this guy installing pavers on TV and there were 10 different layers underneath, I got lost and did not really understand it.
I heard gravel rolls out or sinks completely, is it true?!
Gravel will sink; the speed of which is reduced as the depth of the gravel layer is increased. It also depends, to some extent, an the density of the soil beneath the gravel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House