Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,808,411 times

Advertisements

A strange problem, but every time my attic fan runs there is a strong funky/sewage/mold smell that comes out, but only on the main floors bathroom. The house is a 2 story with vaulted ceiling. The attic is pretty small, about 30 ft long and 3-4' high. The attic fan is on the other side of the house, yet that bathroom on the main floor gets the smell only when it's running. I've gone up in the attic and there are no sewer lines, standing water,..etc. I really have no idea what it could be, hoping someone else might
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Probably pulling air from under the house...

Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Running the attic fan puts the house under negative air pressure (relative to the outside). Air coming from under the house is a possibility, but since it is just one bathroom, I'd (sorry for the graphic nature here) be sniffing around the base of the toilet. You might have a dried out wax seal between the base and the floor. Under normal circumstances the vent pipe would take care of the problem, but once the attic fan comes on, it could suck air down the vent pipe, through the sewer line, and out around the base of the toilet. Pulling up the toilet and replacing the seal would fix that.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
What harry said. Sounds like a bad wax ring to me as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,962 times
Quote:
Running the attic fan puts the house under negative air pressure (relative to the outside).
How? Wouldn't the attic fan just pull air from the gable ends and the soffits?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
There can be any number of holes between attic and house. Some attic fans are more properly "whole house fans" that intentionally pull the hot air pooling at the ceiling into the attic and out of the attic vents.

Any powered attic fan of even moderate strength will find air leaks around ceiling can or top hat lights, electrical boxes, cracks hidden by molding, etc. If there is a ceiling vent in the bathroom in question that just goes into the attic space (quite common with homeowner installations) then there is a duct right there.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,011 times
Hi TempesT68,
Did this just start happening or has it always been that way? Is it a full bath? And..do you have a crawl space or basement below the bathroom in question?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 18,703 times
I have a similar problem that only started this week when my AC unit went out. Every time my attic fan runs there is a strong funky/sewage/mold smell that comes out, but only in the main floor bathroom and little bit in the hallway. The house is a 2 story with a walk up attic and walk out basement. The attic is the length of the house. When the attic fan is on the bathroom on the main floor gets the smell only when it's running. I've gone up in the attic and checked all the ventilation connections there is no standing water,..etc. We have replaced the wax ring in the toilet and cleaned out the sink drain. Really hoping someone else can give us some ideas as to what to check next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House