Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,041,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
A hand tamp wasn't very exensive when I bought it, and I doubt they have gone up a lot in price. I could not have built a stable patio without it.

You excavate IF the patio will be too high after adding in the gravel, sand and pavers.

msm you can compact your foundation material without a tamper. Install your foundation fill material in 3" lifts and use your garden hose with a sprinkler attached to compact the fill. Run the sprinkler for two or three days until the fill material is compacted. Then let it dry out before installing your pavers. Works just as good as a tamp does just takes a little longer to complete the job.

Also not to be picky, but you don't excavate to lower the top of the patio elevation, you excavate to remove all the organic material in order to get to a good sandy/rock soil base to build your foundation on.

Organic material is one of the worst things to build on and it should be removed before doing any type of construction over it. It will decay very fast and when it does then whatever you built on it will sink and fall apart.

Like I said, I'm not being picky. Looks like you have a good idea on how to do the job right, just thought you would like to know why you excavate and how to compact material without a tamp.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM

972 posts, read 2,438,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Also not to be picky, but you don't excavate to lower the top of the patio elevation, you excavate to remove all the organic material in order to get to a good sandy/rock soil base to build your foundation on.
Thanks for the info! It sounds like your soil is much different from our here. I'd love to have some organic material to NEED to excavate.

Your tamping method sound interesting. I think I'll stick with a hand tamp, though.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Remove lumps and bumps, and sod, slope the ground slightly, tamp it firm. Lay down landscape fabric!!!!!!!!!! Campmom, please don't skip this step, you'll be sorry you did. The stuff doesn't just protect from weeds, but if you have critters tunnelling underneath those pavers.....and you WILL....the fabric will help stop those pavers from trying to drop into China!.....therefore creating an ugly patio AND a tripping hazard. Lay your pavers out, then get some coarse sand to dump on the pavers and sweep it between the cracks. If you have slightly uneven pavers, slightly lift the low edge and the sand will trickle down and level it..careful though, not too much or you'll have to lift and remove some sand. Sprinkle it with the hose, let dry and go back over it again, sweeping more sand into the cracks. Be sure to put some sort of border around the edge and it can be dang near anything, just to keep the pavers from wandering. Good luck my friend....and enjoy your new patio.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 PM

424 posts, read 2,337,530 times
Busta-- sorry, not trying to be a butthead. I'm just asking if there are people out here who have done it differently, surely there's more than 1 way to do things? Looking for experiences both good and bad so I can think thru the options. Didn't mean to offend.

And yes, I'm REALLY cheap. I can't technically afford to do anything to this house, but I have to live here so in that sense I can't afford to NOT do things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House