Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,765 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I recently got a job in Houston, and will be moving to the area August 1st. I know it will be a big change from what I'm used to (grew up in the Boston area), but I'm really looking forward to it. I hate cold weather, and I love Texas!

Anyway, my job is located in the Galleria area, but I don't want to live in the actual city. I lived in Boston for two years, and I've had enough. I want space, and preferably would like to live near a body of water, which is why the Lake Houston area attracts me. Also, I need a place that's dog friendly, because I have a 9 month old boxer pup. I'm specifically interested in Sheldon, because I've noticed the town has a reservoir, and is about a half hour or so from where I'd be working. For me, the more rural the setting, the better - but I need to be realistic about my commute. From what I can tell on google maps, Sheldon seems to be nice, but any information from people familiar with the area would be extremely helpful. I'm also considering Atascotia, and possibly even Kingwood, but that might be getting a bit far.

Towns that are within an hour commute of the city, but still have a rural-ish feel to them are what I'm interested in. Like I said, I'm considering the Lake Houston area, because I like the body of water - but if there are suburbs with more of a rural feel either east, west, or even south of the city, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 12:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I know nothing about Sheldon so I can't comment on it but Kingwood is a very nice, quiet and beautiful area and parts of it are right on the lake/river. While Kingwood feels suburban rather than rural it is a community of small neighborhoods in a very wooded setting. If you appreciate nature at your doorstep it is a great place to be. Lots of outdoor recreation opprotunities to be found there as well.

Have you visited Houston?

Old 06-12-2010, 01:25 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
That Sheldon area more than an hour from the Galleria. Add a car wreck or rain (either not uncommon) - and you have jumped to almost two hours one way. Although Kingwood looks further, the freeway system will make the commute quicker.
If you go southeast of the Galleria, there is Clear Lake. Commute in just under an hour.

There are other differences between Sheldon and the other two. You most likely will buy a mobile home there. It may be more rural than you would like.

Just a little north of there is a subdivision called Summerwood, which is nice but just normal lots.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 06-12-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 06:29 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
You might actually find some pretty good "buys" in the Sheldon area - probably because the public schools are not seen as "desirable" by the suburban types - the state rates the school district at 78% "economically disadvantaged" - which will usually keep suburban type development from happening.

The commute will get pretty grim, I'm afraid, but people do it all the time - you just have to decide what is most important to you.

I'm not sure about lakeside/rural-ish options within an easier drive. Good luck!

Oh - I also remember a small development called "Lakeside Terrace" in the 77044 area - not too far from the aforementioned Summerwood - that may have a little more rural feel than some of the suburban developments. Check it out.

Last edited by Watchful; 06-12-2010 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: added last paragraph

Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
The Sheldon reservoir is not exactly an open lake, more like a giant swamp. filled w/ lily pads etc. It is not easily navigable except with an air boat. It does have some lovely natural features and the nature center there is a great place to visit. You have to beware of alligators while you are there. Part of the area around the reservoir is low-lying and is very economically depressed. There is a mixture of industry and homes in the area. The school system is also pretty bad. I would not exactly recommend it to my friends.
If you wanted semi-rural lakeside living w/ large lots, I would recommend something like Spanish Cove or the Commons on the east side of Lake Houston but the commute would probably more than you would like. It will get better when Highway 90 construction is finished but it will still be pretty long.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 AM

I really didn't know much about the nicer rural-ish properties in the Sheldon area - you can do a search by school district or zip code on the har.com real estate web site.

As an example, I found an interesting riverfront property in a neighborhood called Rio Villa - the MLS # is 66378736 - for less than $200K.

I could not stand the daily drive - but again, I live west of Houston in a small town where some people drive every day 70 miles one way to work. Unfathomable to me. (I always suspect that for some - that trip to and from work is the only peace and quiet they have all day! HAHA!)

Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,805 times
Also, Cory I live in the Galleria area and pretty much know by heart all of the drive times to the various parts of town and their commute times during heavy traffic. So feel free to call or email even if just to gage an idea about that concern.

Julie Lyons

Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,542 times
Hi, I'm considering relocating to Houston area from Northern California and very interested in a upper middle class community with ethnic diversity. I've heard that Sugarland is a place to look into. What other choices are out there within 45 minute drive of downtown Houston.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dukes View Post
Hi, I'm considering relocating to Houston area from Northern California and very interested in a upper middle class community with ethnic diversity. I've heard that Sugarland is a place to look into. What other choices are out there within 45 minute drive of downtown Houston.
Cinco Ranch and Kingwood are other possibilities. In Houston, diversity is going to be there. It comes with the package.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dukes View Post
You may want to repost this question - as it landed in an old thread about Sheldon and Lake Houston, so you may miss some responses that would help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston