Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 AM

14 posts, read 31,783 times

Advertisements

My wife and I grew up in Houston but have lived in Brooklyn, NY for the last 13 years. Now that we have kids we are planning to move back to be closer to family.
I have worked in film production and as a reporter here but am ready for a career change.
I would like to work with creative people but am having a hard time finding interesting looking jobs on sites like craigslist and Texas Jobs. Seems like there are a ton of oil, gas and finance jobs but the creative jobs are few and far between.
I realize this is a very vague request, but does anyone have any tips on where to look? Anyone been down this road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM

11 posts, read 19,168 times
Any web design or graphics consulting firms would be something you should look at.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,000,909 times
Writers in the Schools, I interned w/ them last summer for their Creative Writing camp collaborative w/ Rice & University of Houston. Check it out.

http://witshouston.org

Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 PM

69 posts, read 204,264 times
Let me start by saying welcome back!

It's said that 80% of available jobs are never advertised" and over half of all employees get their jobs through networking.

A good first step would be to connect with other creative people in Houston online at social networking sites and engage them about the talent pool and availability of jobs.

There are plenty of Houston networking groups online: InHouston, Houston Interactive Marketing Association are a couple of the top ones. Make sure you put your profile on Behance and LinkedIn too.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 31,783 times
Thanks everyone for the great responses and for the welcome, Bro.
The writers program looks really interesting. Definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thank you, Chanteause. Really excited about moving back after 17 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston