U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,970,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
City Councilwoman Anne Clutterbuck has proposed eliminating the city's practice of paying bilingual employees a $70 monthly stipend for their language skills, prompting staunch protests from the Latino community in the wake of national unrest over immigration and multicultural issues.
The proposal, one of 96 budget amendments proposed by council members, would save more than $1 million a year. Other proposals from council members run the gamut, from disputes with Mayor Annise Parker over how to spend council budgets to a request for showers in the council bathrooms.
So far, none has drawn as much attention as the dispute over bilingual pay, which more than 1,400 municipal employees receive.
Frumencio Reyes, a legal adviser to the Harris County Tejano Democrats, which organized a rally Monday at City Hall attended by various state legislators and activists, said the proposal was not in keeping with Houston's status as an international city.
Latinos protest plan to stop Houston bilingual stipend | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM

6,421 posts, read 9,710,672 times
I have to agree with the comments from that website. It's about time everyone learns English. It's about time everyone get the same pay. Instead of the protest and the give me...give...give me attitude, they should be grateful to be in this great country and not in Mexico making $2 a day.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 AM

12,506 posts, read 25,400,886 times
Cities everywhere are finding ways to cut expenses, this just so happens to be one of them. If you can't speak basic English you either need to learn it or don't need to be here in the first place.

To become a US citizen you are required to take ESL classes anyways.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,765,949 times
I just had to copy and paste this comment:

MackB (12)
MackB wrote:
beijaflor,
I worked with man about three years ago who had just been transferred to Texas from the northeast and his wife was a elementary teacher who spoke Spanish, her family had moved to the northeast from Puerto Rico a couple of generations back. A local ISD immediately hired her for their "bilingual" program and she was excited, bless their hearts so many of our teachers really want to educate our children. She soon became discouraged because she could not understand the "spanish" of the ILLEGALS and their Anchor Babies, their refusal to attempt any English, hostility to assimilate with United States Citizen students, and further disheartened by the disrespect and contempt the ILLEGALS and Anchors held for her, the school system, and the United States. She lasted the year and then found a job outside of education, her ISD refused to transfer her out of the “bilingual” program and every time she applied for a "non-bilingual" teaching position at another ISD her records showed she had taught Spanish and she was automatically slotted for their "bilingual" program. Nothing like running off good and dedicated teachers because they do not want to deal with the ILLEGALS and their Anchors so the ISD's can get more money from the Feds and State.
6/22/2010 1:15:01 AM ---------------------

I taught bilingual for many years and never encountered such issues. The parents of the bilingual kids are always the first to come when you call, are at every open house and conference and want to be American more so than many American citizens do. While everyone decries Mexicans for "refusing to speak Spanish", Asians along Bellaire get a free pass when they have all their signs in Vietnamese, Chinese etc. Nobody cares when they speak their languages.

A lot of the protest and complaint is racism towards Hispanics, plain and simple. And when you read the comment board of chron.com, it's proven fact. As far as I'm concerned, this protest is about a pay cut, plain and simple. Who wouldn't protest that?

I guess that's what angers me most. Those comments wouldn't exist if it was about Vietnamese or Chinese. For some reason, Asians get a pass on this issue.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,381,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I just had to copy and paste this comment:

MackB (12)
MackB wrote:
beijaflor,
I worked with man about three years ago who had just been transferred to Texas from the northeast and his wife was a elementary teacher who spoke Spanish, her family had moved to the northeast from Puerto Rico a couple of generations back. A local ISD immediately hired her for their "bilingual" program and she was excited, bless their hearts so many of our teachers really want to educate our children. She soon became discouraged because she could not understand the "spanish" of the ILLEGALS and their Anchor Babies, their refusal to attempt any English, hostility to assimilate with United States Citizen students, and further disheartened by the disrespect and contempt the ILLEGALS and Anchors held for her, the school system, and the United States. She lasted the year and then found a job outside of education, her ISD refused to transfer her out of the “bilingual” program and every time she applied for a "non-bilingual" teaching position at another ISD her records showed she had taught Spanish and she was automatically slotted for their "bilingual" program. Nothing like running off good and dedicated teachers because they do not want to deal with the ILLEGALS and their Anchors so the ISD's can get more money from the Feds and State.
6/22/2010 1:15:01 AM ---------------------

I taught bilingual for many years and never encountered such issues. The parents of the bilingual kids are always the first to come when you call, are at every open house and conference and want to be American more so than many American citizens do. While everyone decries Mexicans for "refusing to speak Spanish", Asians along Bellaire get a free pass when they have all their signs in Vietnamese, Chinese etc. Nobody cares when they speak their languages.

A lot of the protest and complaint is racism towards Hispanics, plain and simple. And when you read the comment board of chron.com, it's proven fact. As far as I'm concerned, this protest is about a pay cut, plain and simple. Who wouldn't protest that?

I guess that's what angers me most. Those comments wouldn't exist if it was about Vietnamese or Chinese. For some reason, Asians get a pass on this issue.
I think extrapolating anything from the comment board on chron.com is more indicative of the intellectual laziness of the one drawing the conclusion than anything else. You don't see the same anger against Asians because there aren't as many of them for one thing, and Asians are overrepresented (to their credit) in key indicators of financial and societal success such as college graduation rates, the number who pursue critical fields such as engineering, etc. etc. It's not a mystery. This country does not need more day laborers and lawn guys. We need engineers, scientists and doctors.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,225,044 times
It takes years to master a 2nd language. People who are visiting or who are here legally and in the process of learning English also need to use city services. Being fluent in a 2nd language is an added skill... and if you are working with the public, it's a skill that deserves extra pay. However, it does sound like this stipend is loosely regulated. They should institute a proficiency test as well as limit the stipend to only those city employees who work with the general public.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,803,539 times
Suspect many taxpayers, including legal immigrants, become indignant about subsidizing those, sometimes illegal, immigrants who fail to learn English and presumably expect to be taxpayer parasites for generations and/or engage in illegal, nontaxpaying businesses (like much of the "cash" economy of many major cities and rural areas)

Such indignation is seen vs generations of underachieving, often illegal, Chinese immigrants in SF/NYC or underachieving, often illegal, Pakistani immigrants in NYC region...and those US-born "minorities" expecting multiple generations of welfare and affirmative action preferences in college admissions and hiring....not just Mexicans

Would guess if we jailed employers of illegals (and audited their taxpaying history carefully) we would solve much of this illegal immigration nonsense...and raise more tax revenues and reduce waste of tax dollars on illegals, taking the burden off law-abiding taxpayers and employers everywhere

Poverty/skin color/religion are not acceptable excuses for illegal entry or illegal businesses/employment or entitlement or attempts to apply wealth/racial guilt nonsense on others...or lack of English skills or ability to support self and family if choose to enter US legally

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM

3,106 posts, read 8,723,300 times
I think that all residents - whether citizens, permanent immigrants or illegal - of the United States should learn to understand and speak English. PERIOD.

I can't think of anywhere else in the world where non-natives are given a free pass & don't have to learn the language of their adopted country in order to work or co-exist with the rest of the population. In general, there's not much of an incentive to master English if you can default to Spanish every time you need to do something (federal, state services, school, etc...). When I visited Spain, France & Greece I was forced (happily) to use my meager skills. By the time I left each country, I could get by communicating for my basic needs. You have to use the language! Our country's services enables people not to have to learn English and then we all moan & groan about it.

And it's NOT about whites or people against illegals picking on Hispanics. Even my Mexican cousin-in-law is extremely frustrated with her mother who has been in this country since she was in her early 20s but has refused to learn English. Her father has a good job so luckily her mother doesn't have to work but that's no excuse not to learn the language. At family gatherings it's always awkward because we feel like we're ignoring her when the fact is that most of my family doesn't speak Spanish. My grandmother came here when she was in her 60s and even she learned English.

It's annoying as heck to go shopping at any store & be unable to communicate or understand someone because they haven't bothered to learn English (and that goes for people who were born here!).

I initially lost out on a job in San Antonio 20 yrs ago because I'm not fluent in Spanish. The job went to someone who is bi-lingual but because her husband got transferred, I was offered the position. I took it & stayed with the company for 5 yrs. Not once did I ever have to utilize Spanish.

If you have a "mother" tongue - by all means, use it & teach it to your children IN ADDITION to English. I think it's very important and beneficial to be able to pass down your heritage down to your children but at the same time, meld it well with the fact that they are Americans.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,970,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I think that all residents - whether citizens, permanent immigrants or illegal - of the United States should learn to understand and speak English. PERIOD.

I can't think of anywhere else in the world where non-natives are given a free pass & don't have to learn the language of their adopted country in order to work or co-exist with the rest of the population. In general, there's not much of an incentive to master English if you can default to Spanish every time you need to do something (federal, state services, school, etc...). When I visited Spain, France & Greece I was forced (happily) to use my meager skills. By the time I left each country, I could get by communicating for my basic needs. You have to use the language! Our country's services enables people not to have to learn English and then we all moan & groan about it.

And it's NOT about whites or people against illegals picking on Hispanics. Even my Mexican cousin-in-law is extremely frustrated with her mother who has been in this country since she was in her early 20s but has refused to learn English. Her father has a good job so luckily her mother doesn't have to work but that's no excuse not to learn the language. At family gatherings it's always awkward because we feel like we're ignoring her when the fact is that most of my family doesn't speak Spanish. My grandmother came here when she was in her 60s and even she learned English.

It's annoying as heck to go shopping at any store & be unable to communicate or understand someone because they haven't bothered to learn English (and that goes for people who were born here!).

I initially lost out on a job in San Antonio 20 yrs ago because I'm not fluent in Spanish. The job went to someone who is bi-lingual but because her husband got transferred, I was offered the position. I took it & stayed with the company for 5 yrs. Not once did I ever have to utilize Spanish.

If you have a "mother" tongue - by all means, use it & teach it to your children IN ADDITION to English. I think it's very important and beneficial to be able to pass down your heritage down to your children but at the same time, meld it well with the fact that they are Americans.
+1

Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM

28 posts, read 81,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have to agree with the comments from that website. It's about time everyone learns English. It's about time everyone get the same pay. Instead of the protest and the give me...give...give me attitude, they should be grateful to be in this great country and not in Mexico making $2 a day.
I guess you missed where it said bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>