Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that they are going to build Earthquest?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Will it ever get built?
Nope. Dumb idea to begin with. Why do we need a theme park so bad? Build some trails and let people enjoy the natural beauty of the area. Theme parks are tacky.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Nope. Dumb idea to begin with. Why do we need a theme park so bad? Build some trails and let people enjoy the natural beauty of the area. Theme parks are tacky.
Well there will be trails in the park that will allow people to walk around and enjoy the scenery. This could open up a completely new sector for Houston [tourism] that could bring more money to the cities economy.

No need to see it as a negative thing.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well there will be trails in the park that will allow people to walk around and enjoy the scenery. This could open up a completely new sector for Houston [tourism] that could bring more money to the cities economy.

No need to see it as a negative thing.
Doesn't matter anyway. It's not getting built.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
So we're going into what, year five now?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 PM

16 posts, read 20,410 times
Yeah, you're right, both are not getting built, but I would never ask for Astroworld back, because the Rides won't ever be the same again, I,ve only went one time in 1997 with my Grandpa after my Mom, & Dad left me

And by the way If anything intresting happens in this topic like news about EQA, I won't be hanging out with ya'll, or TPR, because I'll be really busy studying Chemistry, & History that I'm really into at school, also I,ve just about 2 months asgo I,ve started having girls talk to me because I'm lonely, & I just got a Girlfriend named (Fanny Florez), also I am a Musician, but don't listen to HM at all, I like Rush, Yes, B B King, Grand Funk Railroad, Def Leppard, The Police, Louis Armstrong, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, I'm getting 2 new Acoustic Guitars this month, & I'm working at a Vetenarian's building to help animals to make money because Next semester in May I am planning to visit the Two Canadian Parks <1.La Ronde-Quebiec, & 2.Canada's Wonderland-Ontario> which is my favorite Band Rush Is from, so I won't be able to talk to yall after today or on, so good bye.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
I don't know. I am still hopeful.

This is from July 2010 in the Chronicle

Planned ecology park near 59 would dwarf AstroWorld | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
But the plan is now two years behind schedule. Organizers say this is because their vision has slowly evolved from a 50-acre dinosaur park to EarthQuest — an elaborate ecofriendly entertainment zone that teaches environmental stewardship.
The $500 million project was also stalled by the sluggish economy, but now organizers are hoping to have financing by year's end and construction completed by 2013.
"In the last 60 days, things have loosened up. We're looking at five investor groups to see who's a fit," said John Marlin, a Dallas real estate investor who owns the site. "I feel the wind is at our backs."
The organizers will not disclose those investors' identities, except to say some are domestic and others are international, with some not requiring any debt service.
Really the plans are exciting

Quote:
Plans call for:
A theme park with 50 attractions that can take visitors on rides through a fiery volcano or let them encounter life-sized dinosaurs.
A 12-acre water park made from a retreating glacier
An animal park featuring creatures form Africa, South America and Texas, along with a breeding center for threatened species
A "green gadget garage" which retools trash into go-carts, playgrounds, miniature golf courses, Ferris wheels and arcade games.
A hotel and conference center that includes forest cabins and suites built as treehouses.
The centerpiece would be a $100 million, nonprofit center where scientists conduct research and visitors would enjoy theaters incorporating smell, touch and 3-D glasses and interactive games on preserving the planet.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
How about we wait and see instead of getting too excited, eh?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post
Yeah, you're right, both are not getting built, but I would never ask for Astroworld back, because the Rides won't ever be the same again
This came up somewhere else and I thought about it....the only rides I really miss from there are the Texas Cyclone and Greezed Lightnin'. That said, GL can be rebuilt and another wooden coaster can go up, possibly bigger and better than before. I figured the Cyclone was a big hurricane away from getting scrapped anyway. The rides in general were dated and for a park that was kind of locked in from further expansion, there was a lot of wasted space.

Aside from the memory thing - if this Earth Quest or any good amusement park had gone up afterward, people would've mostly forgot about AW. The place was a shell of its old self in the end, had no room to expand and had ownership that pretty much gave up on it. There would even be a year or two without any new rides. Something new went up every year at one point.

EQA is probably the real estate equivalent of vaporware now, and might get chalked up as a casualty of the Great Recessdepressionwhateveryouwannacallit. Something else will eventually come fill the void, but it'll probably be a bit scaled down from EQA's plans.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Where are these rides now?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 AM

The Texas Cyclone is mulch. You don't just pick up and move a wooden coaster.

Greezed Lightnin is apparently sitting in Lubbock, where it was supposed to be put back together but it isn't. It still exists.

Some of the others were moved to other parks, and the rest were junked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston