Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd share...

Houston named best city for young professionals - Houston Tomorrow
Houston received its high ranking because of its high number of businesses and well-educated population, according to Forbes

Houston is No. 1 city for young professionals - Houston Business Journal
Houston topped this year’s Forbes list of best cities where a recent college graduate can get a strong start on a high-powered career. ...
Houston also had high average incomes and a concentration of graduates from elite colleges — and not just from local Rice University — but from across the country.

America's Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com
University valedictorians, overachievers and would-be entrepreneurs across the country graduated this month into a bleak economic landscape. Faced with 9.5% national unemployment, even the most ambitious young people are thinking carefully about how to find their best shot at success.
Our advice? Consider moving to Houston, Texas, Washington, D.C., or Minneapolis, Minn. These three cities top Forbes' fourth-annual list of best cities for young professionals--places where ambitious college grads can get a strong start on a high-powered career.
These metros boast affordability, good job prospects and larger-than-average incomes. And they're already home to some of the country's biggest companies and alumni from the prestigious schools--a recipe that offers well-educated graduates a best shot at upward mobility.

Seems to go against the odd thinking some have that Houston doesn't attract these types
(though of course, I'd still like to see additional improvements made in certain QOL factors)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Good to know...

What is the beef with Quality of Life factor?

I thought the QOL here in Houston is quite high, cheap living and high paying jobs, it should be a very good rating...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Good to know...

What is the beef with Quality of Life factor?

I thought the QOL here in Houston is quite high, cheap living and high paying jobs, it should be a very good rating...
What I meant by QOL -- working more on reducing pollution and crime, better transit, beautification (more trees and fewer billboards), more greenspace, etc. Things the city and others have already been working on, which is great. So it's not a big beef... just want to see continued improvement.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
One thing they could do to improve the QOL is to give every hobo a one way ticket to Hawaii. The bums would never want to come back -- or be able to afford the ticket.

Is there anyone who wouldn't contribute to the pot? $1,000 gets them out of our social welfare system for good!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
YAY! I'm a young professional who just moved here =) Hope I get the full experience!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
One thing they could do to improve the QOL is to give every hobo a one way ticket to Hawaii. The bums would never want to come back -- or be able to afford the ticket.

Is there anyone who wouldn't contribute to the pot? $1,000 gets them out of our social welfare system for good!
Wow. That would be amazing if we could become the first large city without homeless people.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Wow. That would be amazing if we could become the first large city without homeless people.
Is it me or are there sooo many homeless out on the streets? I feel like at every stop light, esp. on the SW side, there's a homeless peddler walking around w/ a sign...it's kind of annoying.. not to mention that they are baking/frying in this heat..when I lived in Dallas, I don't remember seeing as many as I do here...

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Is it me or are there sooo many homeless out on the streets? I feel like at every stop light, esp. on the SW side, there's a homeless peddler walking around w/ a sign...it's kind of annoying.. not to mention that they are baking/frying in this heat..when I lived in Dallas, I don't remember seeing as many as I do here...
You think that's bad? You need to go to San Francisco.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Or LA. The homeless almost own the beach there. Some have tents.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
houston doesn't really attract 'these types' (first, their GFs will be dragging their feet to move here. if they have a GF). 2nd, the purpose of the articles is to hype it up and attract 'these types'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston