Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,675 times

Advertisements

I live in sugar land and planning on remodel my small kitchen this year, anyone worked with someone before that does a good job? I had some bad experience with contractors before. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM

809 posts, read 3,556,292 times
I'm sending you a message with the name of company I used. Very happy with their work. Good Luck.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,651,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmom View Post
I live in sugar land and planning on remodel my small kitchen this year, anyone worked with someone before that does a good job? I had some bad experience with contractors before. Thanks in advance
I'm currently using a contractor who I found on angieslist who is fantastic. He and his crew are doing great work and have been a pleasure to work with, and his rates are competitive. I will PM you his info.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,116,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I'm currently using a contractor who I found on angieslist who is fantastic. He and his crew are doing great work and have been a pleasure to work with, and his rates are competitive. I will PM you his info.
PM me, too, please.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,519,416 times
I will not attempt to name names but I will tell you what to watch out for when you are talking about a new kitchen. There are 3 types and only 3 types of cabinets. Stock, semi custom and custom. Except in our great state of Texas where there is a 4th type. It's commonly called site built or job built. These are incorrectly called custom cabinets. They are not custom cabinets. They are painted wooden boxes and are a piece of junk. Stick with contractors who offer you a cabinet product by a major manufacturer which will come with a lifetime warranty. The homemade painted wooden box idiots offer nothing. They are a black eye on professionals.

Next thing you want to stay away from is these China built formaldehyde and sulfur infested junk cabinets. Your familie's health will be at great risk of cancer and/or asthma. There are just as many documented deaths from Chinese cabinet exposure as there are Chinese made sheetrock. Yes I know you can buy a whole 12x12 all cherry wood Chinese made kitchen for $895.00 but what is your health worth? Go ahead and google it.

Next item to consider is particle board sides VS plywood sides. Only in Texas is particle board a curse word that will send you to a lifetime of fiery misery in hell just for saying the word. Particle board is far superior to plywood sides. It's not about the quality of PB vs plywood. It's the quality of each. If you buy a piece of PB furniture in Walmart, yes that 15 PSI particle board will dissolve upon contact with water. Today's generation of PB is industrial grade 45 PSI pressed and will not be harmed by water. In the end a PB box will save you from 25 to 30% of the cost of plywood sides. Use the savings to upgrade trims and storage goodies. That is money well spent.

Using the term "all wood" to include plywood is the worst kind of uneducated snobbery designed to force consumers into "upgrading" unnecessarily. Particle board isn't any less "all wood" than plywood is! It's just smaller particles. For those who call PB fake, plywood is fake too since it is a manufactured product. It's all real wood on a cabinet. Only solid stock is the door and face frame.

For those who like to say if their cabinets get wet bla bla bla I have to ask this: What do you hose down your kitchen with the garden hose? A particle board cabinet means the carcass is PB. The face frame, doors and drawer face will always be solid stock wood. Why bury all that expensive plywood behind the face and under the top that no one will ever see? And these site built idiots brag of making the sides 3/4" thick. What are they trying to support a tall building or a slab of granite? What a waste of money and material !!

Next item is DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy cabinets from the big box store. The big orange only wants your little green. They charge full list price. That means MSRP. Only an uneducated consumer would buy from them. Most all small cabinet showrooms discount heavy from list price these days. Do a little research.

Finally I'm sure those who sell cabinets in the big box stores are nice people but they are not Certified Kitchen Designers, they are cabinet sales people who were Cashiers and promoted. They were given a 3 day course on the CAD and are done. They are trained to design kitchens a certain way, and that way is fast. Its about productivity, not creativity. Most of all, you will have no idea what you are missing in regard to design possibilities because they dont know anything about it to tell you.

Sorry for the length. I condensed my 2 books into 7 small paragraphs. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston