Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:56 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
With all due respect, How do you know - Have you lived in any of these places, experienced their Culture and History of immigration and established growth?

Uh, yeah, I have. Why would you just assume that all of us here have never lived elsewhere. As a matter of fact, the native Houstonians are in the tiny minority. I think I know less than 30.

True Houston is becoming fairly diverse - But IMO it has a long way yo go before it becomes progressive city -No, your not going to see a dozens of NYC Limousine Liberal types walking hand in hand with their Caribbean or Hong Kong girlfriends down Post oak (its too hot) here - but yes it's becoming more diverse -

Because outside the loop the counties - Montgomery & Ft Bend are so conservative and still fairly Bible Belt Baptist, W 04 stickers, on their mini vans" - there will be many challenges along the way - I live 20 miles south of the city in Nassau Bay -Bordering Harris and Galveston County and while we love the no state income tax, central time-zone & waterfront living - actually being able to take our boat and water toys out almost every weekend + overall atmosphere in general - I have found most of this area south - especially League City 4 miles south of us is still very conservative in 2010 - my wife is Korean American, Im white with Blonde hair - and our son is obviously mixed - so I guess we stand out - In CA, we never ever got a second look because it's so much part of the established culture for so many years from SF to SD - I have never seen so many "Raised Eyebrow's" and "Awkward glances" when we go shopping in that area - I think most people just can't figure it out, and while we have never felt any sort of overt racism, I'm sure some of the rural folks that come in for the weekend don't care for it -

So yes Houston burbs 10+ years behind Bay Area, L.A. S.D. O.C. etc - Houston Metro 10+ years behind NYC - L.A. - SF regarding progressive and established cultural integration - Houston burbs = still somewhat behind of understanding and being accepted in a different culture is something some interracial couples will face outside of the metro area for this generation

Of the 3.8 million adults who married in 2008, 9 percent of whites, 16 percent of blacks, 26 percent of Hispanics and 31 percent of Asians married someone whose race or ethnicity was different from their own. For whites these shares are more than double what they had been in 1980. For Hispanics and Asians, these rates are little changed from 1980.
The top nine states for out-marriage rates, each with rates of 20 percent or more, are located west of the Mississippi River and include: Hawaii (43 percent), Nevada (28 percent), Oregon (24 percent); Oklahoma (23 percent); California (22 percent); New Mexico (22 percent); Colorado (21 percent); Arizona (21 percent); and Washington (20 percent).

About 39 percent of U.S.-born Asians Females now marry whites—a figure unchanged since 1980 - But in the "Bible Belt" Houston burbs it's nothing like the burbs of coastal California!!
I don't know why you thinking people are giving raised eyebrows and awkward glances. Interracial couples have been here a long time. You might get that in an icehouse in the northeast end, but not in the main stream.

I am friends with quite a few of those couples myself. I'll have to raise my eyebrows the next time I see them.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:32 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Of course California is more progressive. When all one needs to do is fake a cough, get a card and buy four ounces of pot that looks like it has been licked and rolled around on powdered sugar you would think that would make for a rather open minded populous.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:44 PM

316 posts, read 784,404 times
OK - So I don't know how many counties Texas has - but unless I'm missing something, isn't this the largest RED state in the Nation - And besides Travis County, Uptown Dallas, Rice Village, The Heights and Bellaire isn't the whole state a sea of RED aka Dub'ya country - How does that translate into Texas being diverse and progressive...maybe this is why Californian's question most of the chamber of commerce TX boosters who have never left the state...

Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
OK - So I don't know how many counties Texas has - but unless I'm missing something, isn't this the largest RED state in the Nation - And besides Travis County, Uptown Dallas, Rice Village, The Heights and Bellaire isn't the whole state a sea of RED aka Dub'ya country - How does that translate into Texas being diverse and progressive...maybe this is why Californian's question most of the chamber of commerce TX boosters who have never left the state...
No. Seeing as how Dallas COUNTY and Harris COUNTY went Blue and seeing as how the nearly every county in South Texas went Blue as well. Travis County isn't the only blue county in Texas anymore.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
You are still dodging the question, which is why you are equating "red state/conservative" with "not diverse."

The reality is Texas is overall a politically moderate state that leans right. Houston's congressional delegation is a good representation of this. We have a range from conservative Republicans like John Culberson to liberal Dems like Sheila Jackson Lee and Al Green. We have moderate Republicans like Ted Poe and moderate Dems like Gene Green. And Houston has a lesbian mayor who beat out an African American challenger.

So quit the stereotyping and pigeonholing already, or do you want to accuse me of never leaving Texas?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Harris County went Obama, which is where I live.
I pretty liberal and always have been - but I have never felt like that was unacceptable here.

What state had Proposition 8 to set back the rights of gay marriage? Oh, yeah, California.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Harris County went Obama, which is where I live.
I pretty liberal and always have been - but I have never felt like that was unacceptable here.

What state had Proposition 8 to set back the rights of gay marriage? Oh, yeah, California.
Damn, I didn't mean to do that, concerning Proposition 8. Perfect example of haters trying and succeeding in turning other people into haters. I do not hate anything about California. Beautiful state with some extremely nice people. I take it back - you almost made me one of you.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
7 And Houston has a lesbian mayor who beat out an African American challenger.
Might I add, the first openly lesbian Mayor of any American city.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
So all of these reasons are why Californians hate Houston?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:24 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
So all of these reasons are why Californians hate Houston?
Not really. It has, in fact, been a blatant waste of bandwidth though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston