Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 10,065 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Houston this fall and I am looking for a place to live. I was wondering what the best neighborhood would be for my interests.

I am in my twenties and I am going to University of Houston for an MFA in Studio Art, specifically photography. I am moving with my best friend/roommate who is also in her twenties and is an electrical engineer.

We would like to be close to a reasonable amount of cultural activities, though we are okay with driving, as we are from Los Angeles. I would like to be close to Museums and a like if possible. I am a bit of a foodie, so I would like to be close to good restaurants(not chains) and perhaps farmers markets. We are both also vegetarian. I love ethnic food like Indian and middle eastern etc. We are looking for something that is less than a thousand a month and about 1000 square feet. We'd like to be in an area with younger people and a culturally vibrant atmosphere. I would like to be reasonably close to U of H(within 30 minutes by car), but not right next to it as I have read that the Third Ward isn't the best area.

Any input anyone could provide would be very helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 10,065 times
I guess not.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
museum district

Old 07-03-2010, 04:17 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Look around Montrose, Midtown, Rice Village, or the Rice Military areas. The budget will be tight though. Don't look at big apartment complexes, they will be out of your budget. Check out the smaller complexes, duplexes and 4 plexes, these are rarely advertised more than a sign in the front yard and are snapped up quickly so you might have a hard time doing this from afar.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Have you been here in the summer before? You are aware there are only two seasons here, hot and warm, yes? I hate to tell the foodie in you that foods don't taste good here because of the year-round humidity. You should not any problem finding a cheap apartment though. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Have you been here in the summer before? You are aware there are only two seasons here, hot and warm, yes? I hate to tell the foodie in you that foods don't taste good here because of the year-round humidity. You should not any problem finding a cheap apartment though. Good luck!
Inside the loop, it will be extremely difficult at that price.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Food doesn't taste good here? That's seriously untrue. Houston has excellent food.

To the OP: Montrose sounds like a good fit for you, although the money part might be a problem.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
With the exception of price, Montrose area sounds ideal. There aren't a lot of restaurants north of Buffalo Bayou in the Heights area, there are some, just not a ton, but it is relatively close to Montrose, downtown, etc., so that would be worth looking at.

I second the other comments about smaller duplexes, garage apts. etc. It is harder to find and may take the inefficient method of driving and calling off signs.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Food doesn't taste good here? That's seriously untrue. Houston has excellent food.

To the OP: Montrose sounds like a good fit for you, although the money part might be a problem.
You need to get out more and visit other places. At first I thought I was the only one, but I have had visitors from Toronto, Boston, and CA tell me food taste terrible here. My theory is the humidity/moisture seeps in everything that is soft and makes it mushy. That includes foods, vegetables, fabrics, papers, woods, etc.

To the OP: cheap apartment can be found further away from the school.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-04-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato23 View Post
Hello, I am moving to Houston this fall and I am looking for a place to live. I was wondering what the best neighborhood would be for my interests.

I am in my twenties and I am going to University of Houston for an MFA in Studio Art, specifically photography. I am moving with my best friend/roommate who is also in her twenties and is an electrical engineer.

We would like to be close to a reasonable amount of cultural activities, though we are okay with driving, as we are from Los Angeles. I would like to be close to Museums and a like if possible. I am a bit of a foodie, so I would like to be close to good restaurants(not chains) and perhaps farmers markets. We are both also vegetarian. I love ethnic food like Indian and middle eastern etc. We are looking for something that is less than a thousand a month and about 1000 square feet. We'd like to be in an area with younger people and a culturally vibrant atmosphere. I would like to be reasonably close to U of H(within 30 minutes by car), but not right next to it as I have read that the Third Ward isn't the best area.

Any input anyone could provide would be very helpful. Thanks.
Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston