Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 PM

75 posts, read 196,707 times

Advertisements

My brother came in Seattle and we went to Galleria this W-E to look around and he made the comment how bad it looked compaired to last time he was there in 1990 and how run down everything it looked.
Its 40 years old and like us showing our age now...Im 52 and he is 57
Like he said it was nicer 20 years ago.....when a pay-less shoes moves in to a upscale shopping center its never a good sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
My brother came in Seattle and we went to Galleria this W-E to look around and he made the comment how bad it looked compaired to last time he was there in 1990 and how run down everything it looked.
Its 40 years old and like us showing our age now...Im 52 and he is 57
Like he said it was nicer 20 years ago.....when a pay-less shoes moves in to a upscale shopping center its never a good sign.
Meh, personally I think it's more a sign of the times than anything. Lots of things were nicer 20 years ago---and that's the truth. To be fair though, my last 2 pairs of shoes have come from The Goodwill and The Galleria has seen better days.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
The Neimans/Saks wing is still very nice. Honestly, I haven't been to other parts in decades. If I want normal shopping I can do it at any mall in town.

As to economy shops moving in...Welcome to the NEW economy. It's only going to get worse. At least they have someone in the spot. I hear Mall of America (Minnesota) is emptying out.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The Neimans/Saks wing is still very nice. Honestly, I haven't been to other parts in decades. If I want normal shopping I can do it at any mall in town.

As to economy shops moving in...Welcome to the NEW economy. It's only going to get worse. At least they have someone in the spot. I hear Mall of America (Minnesota) is emptying out.
What they basically did is add a (relatively small) normal Simon Properties mall on the backside. It's got all the typically crappy mall stores.

I heard a rumor that Hines Interests were going to attempt to purchase it back along with the Transco (Williams) Tower, but I didn't hear anything more about it.

Malls generally are a dying breed; everybody wants "multi-use centres" now.

Me, like everybody else, I'm shopping more online and more at Syms and K-G and TJ Maxx and Penney's and such rather than N-M or Macy's. Dillards marks stuff down 70% and that's usually a good deal. Otherwise, I see no need to pay high-end prices for something someone else is going to buy off the bargain rack in 2 months for 1/4 what I paid. I did that for years and it's stupid---just buy it off the bargain rack yourself!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:21 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,129 times
It's just a tacky mall full of awful shops appealing to the worst elements of the human race.

Synthetic Houston personified. A tactical nuke dropped on it is the way forward.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Galleria showing its age

A sad tale indeed. Newly married in 1970, an early wife worked at that Neiman's while the Galleria was being constructed. Hot times in Houston.

Having long ago discovered TJMaxx, I haven't been in a mall since. Don't know where that gal got off to, either.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:07 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,341 times
Galleria Mall is one of the older malls in the Greater Houston area. I only go there when I have money to burn and even then I probably still don't go. It's Willowbrook Mall all the way for me since it's in the same region of Houston I reside in (NW).

Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
I prefer to go to Katy Mills, Memorial City and West Oak myself...

However, When my wife and I go out it's usually to the Galleria. I wish they had a sports themed store in there other then the regular Champs type stores but it's still got pretty good stores and places to eat...

If you think the Galleria is run-down you should see some of the Malls throughout the South..

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I prefer to go to Katy Mills, Memorial City and West Oak myself...

However, When my wife and I go out it's usually to the Galleria. I wish they had a sports themed store in there other then the regular Champs type stores but it's still got pretty good stores and places to eat...

If you think the Galleria is run-down you should see some of the Malls throughout the South..
Thank you! I grew up in Tulsa & the malls there aren't anything special

Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
It's just a tacky mall full of awful shops appealing to the worst elements of the human race.
Sounds a bit like England to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston