Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Isn't zoning meant more for functionality, than for looks or aesthetics?

Houston functions mostly fine. It's the aesthetics that need addition (get rid of billboards and ugly signs, save and plant more trees, landscaping, etc) and I think most of that can be taken care of by ordinances (and already is, i.e. the billboard removal ordinance)...

In that case, I'd say I'm much less pro-zoning than I used to be. Most of what I care about are the aesthetics, rather than what someone thinks should go where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Houston functions mostly fine. It's the aesthetics that need addition (get rid of billboards and ugly signs, save and plant more trees, landscaping, etc)

In that case, I'd say I'm much less pro-zoning than I used to be. Most of what I care about are the aesthetics, rather than what someone thinks should go where.
Totally agree with your first and last statements. But I disagree with your middle ones. The billboards are few and far between. They are mainly on the highways.

Plus Houston already has tons of trees. most areal photos of houston show an abundance of trees.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:03 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Yup, I agree with you on this AK. Houston just needs some gloss really. Can we not have open swaths of land that are neglected? As I've said Property maintenance is really the biggest issue not lack of zoning. Protection of individual rights/property is very big in Houston. (I was reminded by all the "Private Property. No Trespassing" signs I saw today) It's true, there's ugly abound, but as fat people like to put it---there's more to (learn to) love. For most people, Houston is completely disorganized, and it is a little bit, but I think with a solid public transportation system that actually works and BETTER SIDEWALKS, this city might be able to get its act together.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Houston functions mostly fine. It's the aesthetics that need addition (get rid of billboards and ugly signs, save and plant more trees, landscaping, etc) and I think most of that can be taken care of by ordinances (and already is, i.e. the billboard removal ordinance)...

IF zoning controlled aesthetics rather than use it might actually be worthwhile. I don't care if my neighbor has a home-based business; but I don't want to see it, smell it or hear it.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
IF zoning controlled aesthetics rather than use it might actually be worthwhile. I don't care if my neighbor has a home-based business; but I don't want to see it, smell it or hear it.
Actually zoning CAN control aesthetics, it just depends to what extent the local government takes it.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I kinda like how all the food chains in the med center are hidden and there is no outside advertising.

But I think what you are thinking of restrictive covenants. Some areas restrict home business. some say that at certain times of the day no more than a 3 cars can visit home businesses at a time, they restrict colors of the busineses and signs and posters.

This is all to keep residential streets unclogged and so that the neighborhoods are not tacky

Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I get frustrated with Houston sometimes though. One minute they want to become a world class metropolis with many amenities and the next minute they want to remain a slow southern town on the Bayou. No Zoning is a problem for me but lack of basic infrastructure is the bigger problem. Houston in many areas remind me of Jackson or Monroe, Louisiana instead of a major metropolitan city. I dislike any neighborhood with no sidewalk. I dislike any neighborhood that has ditches instead of curbs. That type of development is fine for a city of 30,000 or Houston in 1920. It isn't fine for a city of 2.3 million.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Zoning is uneconomic ! Houston is right to refuse it !

Old 07-08-2010, 11:50 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Zoning is uneconomic ! Houston is right to refuse it !
I've still not heard anybody explain how this is. Please. Really? How?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I've still not heard anybody explain how this is. Please. Really? How?
Here:

Neither Boom nor Bust: How Houston’s Housing Market Differs from Nation’s - Houston Business, January 2008 - FRB Dallas

I can explain it to you in detail if you like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston